Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bee Problem

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
For months now I have come home and found 5-10 bees dead in front of my picture windows each time. I have not been able to find where they were getting in... until today.

We had a heavy rain a little while ago and my gutters were over-flowing. (pine needles and leaves plug the top drain all the time.) As I walked past the chimney opening on top of the roof I happened to look inside.

Now what?

The opening is about 20" x 10"

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Light a fire???? The smoke would maybe send them on their way? Or call a bee keeper they're always looking for replacements.... Used too know a guy but he's no longer in it but he had a makeshift vacuum that would suck them into a box and he'd just cap it off and take it home too his hive.....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have the local member of the "bee keepers assoc." who is going to try to get out tomorrow.
My worry is after they vacuum out the bees, and (I'm guessing) knock down the hive, what do I do about the wax remains of the hive. Won't a fire melt the wax and coat the stone inside and poss. cause a chimney fire?
(or will it not be a big deal...)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I say close the flu.. Drop 2-3 foggers in there and slap a piece of plywood over the chimney. Maybe add in running for good measure.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have the local member of the "bee keepers assoc." who is going to try to get out tomorrow.
My worry is after they vacuum out the bees, and (I'm guessing) knock down the hive, what do I do about the wax remains of the hive. Won't a fire melt the wax and coat the stone inside and poss. cause a chimney fire?
(or will it not be a big deal...)

He should know of something that would remove the old wax, at best take a propain torch and heat it up and scrape it off.... The main thing is too get that queen the hell out of there lol....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have heard of "the bees knees" but never "the bees chimknees". Oh Lord forgive me. That was terribly corny. lmao

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
OK. Enough of the Bee-S (hows that Phil?)

Doe's anyone know if the remaining wax will be a risk of a chimney fire after the wax comb is knocked away?
The chimney is stone and mortar.

OK. Enough of the Bee-S (hows that Phil?)

Doe's anyone know if the remaining wax will be a risk of a chimney fire after the wax comb is knocked away?
The chimney is stone and mortar.

i would get rid of the bees do not kill them!!!!!!! , we are running out of honey bees , when they are gone we will starve to death . then try to start the remaining wax on fire . better to be a controled burn , than one this fall when you forget about it .

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
i would get rid of the bees do not kill them!!!!!!! , we are running out of honey bees , when they are gone we will starve to death . then try to start the remaining wax on fire . better to be a controled burn , than one this fall when you forget about it .

They'll adapt. Or Monsanto will come up with an asexual mutant food that doesn't need pollinated. Lol.

Kaiser878

ohio
I would have the bee keeper come and get the bees first...Then I would carefully getthe hive out and get the honey out of that thing......Thats some good shit right there!!!!!!!!!! I cant believe the size of that thing....Thats ridiculous

Just for an idea....Look up on the internet of how much a colony of honey bees costs with a queen......It might change your mind about how you are going to get rid of them.....Someone iwll probably pay YOU to come get them!!!!!

Last edited: