Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shed training

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Hey guys looking for a HUGE favor from anyone willing. I am getting a chocolate lab in a couple weeks and really plan on training him to be a shed hunting dog. My only thing that is holding me back is the sheds themselves. Is anyone willing to donate to me some of the sheds they don't want, use, or need anymore? I will pay for shipping. I would like to get 6 sheds for training purposes only. Big or small it doesn't matter but I don't have any... hence the purpose to train him to help find some lol.

Also, if anyone has done this before please feel free to offer advise. I'm looking into the Dokken videos and training supplies. Just would prefer real sheds over the plastic ones.

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Unfortunately, I wont be able to make the shoot which I'm upset about. I'm in New York for the weekend helping my parents out with these 11 puppies (where I'm getting mine from). Schu72 where do you live. Im near Cleveland but am willing to drive out to get them and same to you Diablo.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I live in Streetsboro. If that's TOO far, I might be able to talk my wife into taking them to Hillcrest Hospital with her.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I was just meaning that I'll be at the shoot and could pick them up from Diablo and get them to NE Ohio.

If I had some to share, I would, but I suck at finding them!

camofry

*Supporting Member*
It only takes 1, if you get to many the dog will get board with them. The way I done it was take one shed and cut the points off so they dont poke there eyes (or yours ) out and let them know that it is theres. Play with that one shed all the time, make it there go to toy. Then when you start to take it out shed hunting and it comes across sheds in the woods , it recognizes that as something fun and will learn and build up a drive to look for them harder each time there out. I bought books and everything when I first got my dog and nothing in those books worked. I then hooked up with a guy that had 2 shed dogs and went with him and his dog a few times and picked up some pointers and had my dog finding them with in 3 weeks. Hope this helps.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It only takes 1, if you get to many the dog will get board with them. The way I done it was take one shed and cut the points off so they dont poke there eyes (or yours ) out and let them know that it is theres. Play with that one shed all the time, make it there go to toy. Then when you start to take it out shed hunting and it comes across sheds in the woods , it recognizes that as something fun and will learn and build up a drive to look for them harder each time there out. I bought books and everything when I first got my dog and nothing in those books worked. I then hooked up with a guy that had 2 shed dogs and went with him and his dog a few times and picked up some pointers and had my dog finding them with in 3 weeks. Hope this helps.

That makes a lot of sense camofry! I look forward to attempting this one day also.

---

Aphamax... Use google to try to find a deer farm somewhere near you. You may be able to get some sheds from their 1.5 yr old bucks or something... If not free, maybe cheap at least.

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Thanks guys! Great point with only using one. I was going to start with one and as the dog gets older put a few more out at a time. I would just like a few now because I also am terrible at finding shed and am worried all Ill have is the one I started with lol. Great advise thou and I will for sure make it his go to toy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I tried to make a shed Hank's go to toy. He ate it. I had to throw out the rest for fear of him choking on it. Started life as a small shed, but not tiny. I think it was off a basket 8pt. Something to think about. Might want to keep an eye on the dog if it starts chewing on it.

ohio
Now can any dog be trained? I have a bassett which has the second best nose I'm told, could she do it? She has been chewing on them since 6 weeks, she is now 6 mo

camofry

*Supporting Member*
I would say yes Customizer. A shed dog does not hunt sheds by scent, they hunt them by sight just like we do, its just they can cover a lot more ground then we do. They say a shed has no sent. I will say I think the scent of the deer helps some. Being the first year for my dog I kept an eye on everything she did and noticed she did seem to work or look harder in places where there was a lot of tracks or paths where the deer run alot. Most people think the Labs do better due to the fact they like to please. What makes you happy makes them happy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If they do not track by scent this would explain why Hank never took it up well. That dog would darn near run right into the barn if I ran a drag rag with deer blood on it up to the barn wall. lmao

I swear he never looks, just follows his nose.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I tried to make a shed Hank's go to toy. He ate it. I had to throw out the rest for fear of him choking on it. Started life as a small shed, but not tiny. I think it was off a basket 8pt. Something to think about. Might want to keep an eye on the dog if it starts chewing on it.

Deer antler is the new thing in the pet stores these days. It's "organic." People pay big money for their dogs to chew on antlers. It's bone like any other bone... it doesn't hurt the dog... they can eat it. But obviously, you wouldn't want your shed dog to chew up a 70+ incher that he just picked up in the woods. lol