Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Solid Broadheads

runhunter

Well boys, I finally received the new heads yesterday, and I'm going to give my honest opinion, so if anyone else has these, let me know what you agree/disagree with. I'll be honest, I was curious, and skeptical, of how they would fly. I've never shelled out this kind of money for 3 heads, but considering what I spend on "disposable" mechanicals, I figured it was worth a shot.
I opened the little tin container, and my first thought when I picked them up, was wow. They feel sturdy and are as advertised, razor sharp. All 3 heads were spin tested and I had no issues there. I was able to shave the hair off my arm with them, so the edges were great. The one thing I noticed, on one of my girlfriend's Montec's, after a bad shot into the dirt, the point seemed to flatten a bit and 2 of the blades had small nicks in them. These new Solid heads are supposed to be much stronger, built to pass through shoulder bone and still retain a razor sharp edge to kill effectively. I won't know how true that is until the season, and I hope I don't have to find out. By feel alone, I'm more than comfortable with the quality.
I waited until about 7pm, and went out to shoot. At my house, 22 yards is the furthest distance I can shoot. After a few shots, I noticed the broadhead kept hitting the same spot, about 2" high, and an inch left of where I was aiming(lower heart area). That was a good sign to me, and all it took was a cock feather rotation, and they were hitting their mark. After approx 25 shots, the blades feel as if they are as sharp as when I opened them. Again, this is only at 22 yards, and I'll be able to stretch it out to 30 and 40 yards tonight(pending t storms) when I go to my uncles. I'll take pictures of the groups and post them when I get a chance. I'm curious to see how they fly at those distances, but so far am very impressed. Here are a few pictures of the heads themselves. You can see they are a bit wider than the Montec's.

solid1.jpgsolid2.jpgsolid3.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well boys, I finally received the new heads yesterday, and I'm going to give my honest opinion, so if anyone else has these, let me know what you agree/disagree with. I'll be honest, I was curious, and skeptical, of how they would fly. I've never shelled out this kind of money for 3 heads, but considering what I spend on "disposable" mechanicals, I figured it was worth a shot.
I opened the little tin container, and my first thought when I picked them up, was wow. They feel sturdy and are as advertised, razor sharp. All 3 heads were spin tested and I had no issues there. I was able to shave the hair off my arm with them, so the edges were great. The one thing I noticed, on one of my girlfriend's Montec's, after a bad shot into the dirt, the point seemed to flatten a bit and 2 of the blades had small nicks in them. These new Solid heads are supposed to be much stronger, built to pass through shoulder bone and still retain a razor sharp edge to kill effectively. I won't know how true that is until the season, and I hope I don't have to find out. By feel alone, I'm more than comfortable with the quality.
I waited until about 7pm, and went out to shoot. At my house, 22 yards is the furthest distance I can shoot. After a few shots, I noticed the broadhead kept hitting the same spot, about 2" high, and an inch left of where I was aiming(lower heart area). That was a good sign to me, and all it took was a cock feather rotation, and they were hitting their mark. After approx 25 shots, the blades feel as if they are as sharp as when I opened them. Again, this is only at 22 yards, and I'll be able to stretch it out to 30 and 40 yards tonight(pending t storms) when I go to my uncles. I'll take pictures of the groups and post them when I get a chance. I'm curious to see how they fly at those distances, but so far am very impressed. Here are a few pictures of the heads themselves. You can see they are a bit wider than the Montec's.

View attachment 8144View attachment 8145View attachment 8146

Montecs, being cast, will be dull very quickly. These are high quality knife edge steel that will be able to support and retain an edge for a long time. I was hoping to try some this year but have yet to just the gun. still waiting on my german kinetics to get here first.

runhunter

Agreed Milo, and going into it, I wasn't concerned about them holding an edge or the quality of the steel. Being a guy who shot expandables for the last 4-5 years, I am used to field tip like flight. I wasn't how these would handle, and was afraid they would be like pie pans heading toward the target. I'm very happy so far and if they do me right at 40 yards, I'm sold. Keep me posted on the GK's

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Agreed Milo, and going into it, I wasn't concerned about them holding an edge or the quality of the steel. Being a guy who shot expandables for the last 4-5 years, I am used to field tip like flight. I wasn't how these would handle, and was afraid they would be like pie pans heading toward the target. I'm very happy so far and if they do me right at 40 yards, I'm sold. Keep me posted on the GK's

I sure will. They should be one my arrow in about 10 days i hope..i know its a lot of money but when you but your hands on something quality like these, it makes you wonder how is really robbing you of your money...cheap ass montec's or quality products like these. there is a real value to quality stuff. I have spoken with the owner to possibly become a dealer for these heads if an when he branches out beyond his own shop. hopefully in the coming years i can pick these up and get them into peoples hands. I think that will sell them..

41davisrd

I am looking really hard at these also, if you think about it mech broadheads 40.00 after shot you have to replace blades 20 or more dollars then you might bend the ferrel due to being alum. These heads have a lifetime warranty! I just wonder what kind of a hole it will leave on a whitetail? If they fly as advertised out to 40 yrds I am sold.

41davisrd

I am also lookin hard at the slick tricks dont know which model i would go with. the weight of my axis arrow is 295 gr. 65# 29in draw out of elite z28. I think they would fly good out of my set up

runhunter

I will say this, I was doing some research on the German Kinetics, which are somewhat similar in shape, durability, sharpness etc.. Not saying they're identical, but if they perform anything close to the GK's, there shouldn't be an issue. I shot last night at 30 and 40 yards, and yes it took a little tuning, but the heads do fly very well. I won't know how they perform on deer until September, however, they are scary sharp and shoot well.
I do think there will be less of an entrance wound than I'm used to with the Rage. I'm ok with that. I've read that the GK causes less of a blood trail, but the shot in question was from a ground blind. A shot from a tree stand would have a lower exit wound, and more than likely a better blood trail. Bottom line, anything you shoot, blunt tip, field points, fixed or mechanicals, will all do their job. It boils down to shot placement. I don't need a huge entrance wound if I know the head holds an edge like it does. Scary sharp edges, good flight patterns and durability knowing I can bust through the opposite shoulder bone if quartering or even if I pull the shot a bit, is enough or me. I've lost deer to that dreaded shoulder shot, hopefully that's a thing of the past...

41D.. exactly my thoughts. Rage are basically disposable, 1 shot and done so, $75 to me wasn't too much of a stretch. I'll spend $80/year on them so why not try it. I'm very impressed so far

runhunter said:
I do think there will be less of an entrance wound than I'm used to with the Rage. I'm ok with that. I've read that the GK causes less of a blood trail, but the shot in question was from a ground blind. A shot from a tree stand would have a lower exit wound, and more than likely a better blood trail. It boils down to shot placement.
runhunter,
I shot a very nice buck with a fixed 2 blade broadhead, from a treestand, through both lungs, at 12 yards and other than some light blood spray at the sight of the shot...there wasn't so much as a single drop for the next 103 yards. I'll never use 2 blade broadheads, again...ever. :smiley_armscrossed: Fortunately, I seen the buck fall and finding him wasn't an issue. Just the same, I'll use 3 or 4 blades...period.

You are correct, about shot placement. Any critter has to be shot where they live...especially with a bow.

Bowhunter57

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
runhunter,
I shot a very nice buck with a fixed 2 blade broadhead, from a treestand, through both lungs, at 12 yards and other than some light blood spray at the sight of the shot...there wasn't so much as a single drop for the next 103 yards. I'll never use 2 blade broadheads, again...ever. :smiley_armscrossed: Fortunately, I seen the buck fall and finding him wasn't an issue. Just the same, I'll use 3 or 4 blades...period.

You are correct, about shot placement. Any critter has to be shot where they live...especially with a bow.

Bowhunter57

The only time I've ever seen that happen was when fat and/or guts plugged up the exit wound. This can occur when using any broadhead... whether it be a 2, 3, 4 or 10-blade head. I wouldn't condemn a style of broadhead because of one deer... but that's just me. However if you don't have confidence in them I can understand not using them. You absolutely have to have confidence in your equipment.

runhunter

JB you are 110% correct. There is a story/instance for every possible scenario. We've all made shots, good, bad etc and either didn't get results we wanted, or got results we expected and so on. I've used 2 blades for years there's alway 100 factors that go into each shot/scenario, from bow set up, arrow lengths, weight, types of broadheads, angle of shot etc. You can't say definiteively one way or the other. I've shot these Solid heads 2 days in a row now, from 20, 30, 40, and off yardages in between. I am liking them more and more and can't wait to see how they perform. There's no doubt they are built tough and built with killing in mind. If I could sign up now, for watching every deer fall in sight, hand me a pen. I don't need no stinking blood trail