Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fall camping trip...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Looking for somewhere to pull the camper and make a weekend of it. Taking the family and would like somewhere I could hunt a few hour in the morning/evening if I chose to. That is down on the list of wants.

- nice place for the family to enjoy and things to do
- water for the canoe
- in Ohio
- very close public hunting

Any ideas?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never been there personally, but I've never heard a bad thing about Salt Fork State Park. Awesome camping, awesome lake, and I think there is public hunting there. Even better yet, if you apply for the Salt Fork controlled archery hunt and get drawn, you'll have access to spots that are normally off limits for hunting.

Findlay State Park is also nice, but I don't know of any good public hunting nearby... except maybe in Wellington. East Harbor State Park is a decent place to stay as well. Only about 20 minutes south of there is Resthaven Wildlife Area... and it's got plenty of great areas to shoot a public land buck.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
It's been many moons since I've been there but have you looked up Burr Oak State Park. Don't no much about it but JB hunts near there some, I think.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Take the camper and boat. You have it rigged up to be able to do so? You have a truck to pull both? lol

Not sure I am much help. Nice fall camping, canoeing, hiking, biking, and family activities bring Mohican to mind. I just am not familiar with any public hunting land locations. Not sure if there would be any close by or not.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I only live about 10 minutes from salt fork and it is really nice, everything youre asking for and some decent public hunting areas too, as long as youre not there during the early season muzzleloader hunt.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Salt Fork (or pepper spoon as my son calls it) is a nice chose, another is Bark Camp just down the road and east off of 70 maybe a half hour? Good deer population and nice campground as well..... Small lake perfect for the canoe...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll second Salt Fork and Burr Oak. You could also come down this way and I'll show you some smaller areas that not many people know about. AEP would be an option for you two...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's been many moons since I've been there but have you looked up Burr Oak State Park. Don't no much about it but JB hunts near there some, I think.

I'll second Salt Fork and Burr Oak. You could also come down this way and I'll show you some smaller areas that not many people know about. AEP would be an option for you two...

How could I forget about Burr Oak??? lol Burr Oak is a great place, beener. The lake itself is an excellent fishery, and I could help you out with some deer hunting spots nearby.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Thanks guys.

And no I can't pull both Phil ;)

Boat - 7,850 pounds dry
Camper - 6,900ish dry

My truck or Durango can pull either easily but not both. Funny thing is the Hemi-Durango has more tow capacity than the half ton Ram. And iit even pulls the load better.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Muh Fren has uh deer camp in duh Wayne in early November. Lottsa good fellas and maybe uh deer gets kilt. Bring uh banjo.

My Dad won a trip through the Ohio Lottery to Burr Oak a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Said only thing he didn't like was that Mom went along with himrotflmao

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Take the camper and boat. You have it rigged up to be able to do so? You have a truck to pull both? lol

Not sure I am much help. Nice fall camping, canoeing, hiking, biking, and family activities bring Mohican to mind. I just am not familiar with any public hunting land locations. Not sure if there would be any close by or not.

Plenty of public hunting in the Mohican state forest....that's not too far away from you either Charles. I know a guy down there that has 200 acres of private ground that rents it out for $25 per day.....that might be a good option also. It's some great looking property that borders the Mohican. My buddies get it for turkey season a couple days per year and they do well.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Muh Fren has uh deer camp in duh Wayne in early November. Lottsa good fellas and maybe uh deer gets kilt. Bring uh banjo.

My Dad won a trip through the Ohio Lottery to Burr Oak a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Said only thing he didn't like was that Mom went along with himrotflmao

That is hilarious Ryan!

Charles- I was curious. Thought maybe you upgraded trucks on us or something. Truthfully, I have pulled some stupid stuff but never tried pulling doubles. I would be a bit nervous when it was time to back up. lmao

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
That is hilarious Ryan!

Charles- I was curious. Thought maybe you upgraded trucks on us or something. Truthfully, I have pulled some stupid stuff but never tried pulling doubles. I would be a bit nervous when it was time to back up. lmao

I've backed duals before (hay/grain) but the Durango isn't up to stopping or pulling 13k+ lol

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No such thing as backing up doubles, at least not for very far!:) I'd have to vote for Salt Fork too, though Burr Oak is nice. Spent a week down there years ago fishing, and saw more deer swimming the lake than I could count. There was a pack of dogs running around and they kept the deer swimming for the other side a lot! Made a good memory for us, but doubt the deer enjoyed it much.

If you'd happen to decide on Paint Creek, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
No such thing as backing up doubles, at least not for very far!:) I'd have to vote for Salt Fork too, though Burr Oak is nice. Spent a week down there years ago fishing, and saw more deer swimming the lake than I could count. There was a pack of dogs running around and they kept the deer swimming for the other side a lot! Made a good memory for us, but doubt the deer enjoyed it much.

If you'd happen to decide on Paint Creek, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Never been to Paint Creek so I will look it up and thanks for the offer to get me going in the right direction. As for backing doubles, me doing it is like watching two monkeys fugg a football. I get like 5 yards....maybe.