Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snaring Small Rodents, Like Moles And Such!

badger

*Supporting Member*
The groundhogs kind of dried up on me, so I've switched my attention to those little bastards that are burrowing through the yard and mulch beds. After a message this morning from Milo, I decided I needed to get to my happy place, and that would be catching stuff!

Round one I decided to try and make a snare out of mono fishing line. It has a lot of memory and is hard to see. Making the snare and achieving the loop size wasn't too difficult. My only concern was having a chew out from those little sharp teeth. I was spot on with these concerns. I set the snare and waited about an hour to check it. First check, the snare was pushed aside. I reset and jumped in the shower. When I went back out, sure enough one of them went back with a mono necklace.

Second round I unraveled some 7x7 cable to get a nice small diameter that has more durability. I still have the same aspects of the memory with a lot faster snap when it's tripped. There's no way one will chew out either. I just set the second prototype and I'm dying to check it!

The screwdriver is my stake and I used picture hanging wire for my support.

The set up in a trail.

The chew out.

Prototype number two.

And the remake.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Try a fishing leader ;) I bet it would take them a little bit to chomp their way out of that.

Great idea Adam, I'll be trying that.

This is too fuggin cool, Dale! :smiley_clap:

I thought so too. As far as fur bearers, I have snared everything in Ohio I can besides an otter. I had a few close calls with otters and cable, but never connected. I figure the smaller I go, the more challenging!

Nice !!

Last year I had a few start in digging up my side yard

I did the quick .....errrrr and more dangerous way of dealing with them
I filled their tunnels with Propane and covered the exits up

No more moles

Just have to make sure no one is smoking LOL

John