Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What did I just see?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'm mowing the pond bank this morning and I kick out a mouse that jumps in the water and starts swimming his little heart out. He swims out 4-5 ft and turns and heads back to the bank off to my right. He gets about 2 ft from shore and BLOOP he's gone with just a little splash. I couldn't see what got him, figure either a big mouth or a snapper. Either way something got a fury little snack.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sounds like a cat.. They tend to just gulp a bunch of water and suck in their prey. A largemouth would have smacked the top and made a big splash.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like a cat.. They tend to just gulp a bunch of water and suck in their prey. A largemouth would have smacked the top and made a big splash.

It could have been a cat... but I'd put my money on it being a Largemouth. From what I've seen over the years, the biggest largemouths often times make the least disturbance when the suck something down. If you do much topwater fishing in total darkness you'll see what I mean. Most times you can tell just by the sound how big of a fish smacked the lure...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
It could have been a cat... but I'd put my money on it being a Largemouth. From what I've seen over the years, the biggest largemouths often times make the least disturbance when the suck something down. If you do much topwater fishing in total darkness you'll see what I mean. Most times you can tell just by the sound how big of a fish smacked the lure...

Yep same with fishing a texas rig or similar worm, seems like the big boys barely bump that worm as they are sort of "sucking" it into their mouth slowly.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I once watched a largemouth(s) take down two ducklings. It was epic and momma duck was pissed! The first one I wasn't sure what I saw then the second happened and I was geeked. The bass tried to take it down but wasn't successful as the duckling popped back up...duckling was hauling ass to shore and the "V" of death followed and busted his ass....no more duck.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Sam this is a good idea for a thread. "Death by mother nature". I have noticed that these kind of events get everyone juiced one way or another. The excitement is generally black and white....either amazement/giddy or sad/scared.

My buddy and I were harvesting beans and the girlfriends wanted to ride along. We ended up chasing a bunny from rows to the next. It finally got smart and decided to get out of are way into the already picked section. As soon as the bunny cleared he was doing cute bunny stuff (cleaning himself and scratching). The girlfriends were gushing with glee.....then thud! A hawk pinned his ass to the ground and ripped his guts out. EPIC!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Several years ago I was in stand overlooking cut corn and had 2 does start feeding my way. Then a damn red jimmy started raising a damn fuss on the next limb over. That little bastard actually alerted the does to me standing up and busted them out of there. I was so pissed and wanted nothing more than to kill his azz. he sat there for a few more minutes just hissing at me. Finally outta no where a red tail swipes him off the branch and takes him to the ground and proceeded to gut his ass. One of the coolest things I've witnessed in nature

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
One summer I was brush-hogging an overgrown field next to a fencerow, cutting from the outside-in. I noticed a red-tailed hawk perched in the fencerow, just sitting there contently, seemingly watching everything I did. Well finally there was only one pass left in the field, right in the center. Of course as I got to the end of it a rabbit busts out and starts hauling ass across the open field. Yep... Sure enough, off the perch goes Mr. Redtail... All before my eyes he swoops down and knocks the daylights out of that rabbit. It was so awesome. I swear that hawk was waiting for it the entire time!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Last year I had mentioned in a thread about my hunting partner....an American Kestrel. About every two days I would watch him smack a tree rat.

He would circle real high above the tree line...shrill...then dive bomb the through the canopy. Never batting a wing he would carve through the trees at break neck speeds. Then you would hear it.....thwack! Awesome, to watch!

jeremy44230

Medina County
Seen largemouth take em before. Love seeing it! I like to hook frogs and let em swim around, they get tore up by largemouth. Also with bluegill and a big treble hook, never had bass fight like that with artificial bait!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Seen largemouth take em before. Love seeing it! I like to hook frogs and let em swim around, they get tore up by largemouth. Also with bluegill and a big treble hook, never had bass fight like that with artificial bait!

When I was younger some of the best bass I caught were caught this way. We would prop up our poles similar to tight lining for catfish, hook up a small bluegill or a big bass minnow and toss it out. We would walk to either side of it and cast with rubber worms and just wait on that bad boy to take off! What a blast!