Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Quick trip

runhunter

Well fellas, I made the trip out this weekend. 8 hour drive to Southern OH, got to the girlfriend's aunt/uncle's house, said our hello's, grabbed the keys to the Polaris, and loaded up. Me, my girlfriend, and my buddy spent an entire weekend busting brush, hung 9 trail cameras and saw everything I needed to see. We feel like we have the 3 properties covered pretty well. Anytime a deer sneezes, there should be a camera taking a picture of it. The plan is to head back early on a Saturday morning in 3 weeks, check cards, change batteries and head back to NJ the same day. Althought, it might be worth staying over, getting a hotel, and hanging out with the family another night. The more time I spend getting to know them can only help matters. I've met them twice now, and they are good as good gets. What an opportunity.

In a field across from the house, we saw 10 different bucks Saturday night before dark. Two were 10's, one probably mid 40's, the other in the 30's.. 2 8's that were 120"-130" etc. I was there in early spring, pre antler growth and was excited. Now physically getting to lay eyes on the quality of deer in the area has me chomping at the bit. I come from an area where a 110" deer on state woods is considered a "monster". You guys are lucky and I am more than thankful for the opportunity I walked in to. It's going to be a long 2-3 weeks, but it's worth letting those cameras soak. I'll say this, I cancelled my WI trip and am heading out to OH for the Sept. opener. Says a lot...

runhunter

there are 3 properties all within close proximity of each other that total about 400 acres. It's a good mix of crops, ridges, steep hills, cow pastures etc. The land has a little bit of everything. We put some cameras on places where I don't expect to get a lot of activity this time of year, but we had them with us, and won't do any good coming back home so.. out they went. Right now it's all movement is food driven, and that's what we put the bulk of the cameras. The other spots are natural bottoms between steep hills and places where bucks should be cruising during the rut. Just figured it's worth putting a set of eyes out now to see if anything happens to walk by. May pay off come September.. we'll see. I hunted Lewis Co KY 2 years ago, love the area.

runhunter

Yea, seeing a few good ones never hurts. I have been looking at houses out there, and it turns out, her uncle lives close to 3 that I looked at. He drove me by them, and needless to say, I'm ready to get outta dodge. I'd move tomorrow if I could, but don't be surprised if I make it out there in the near future. I feel "right" every time I'm out there.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sounds like a great trip. Hope you get some gooduns on cam. That would definitely fire anybody up. Sounds like you got a great place to hunt TOO.

runhunter

Yea seeing them would make me feel like the work was worth it. I just know by season opener some of those bucks will disappear and others may come from god knows where. Still gonna get me pumped.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I feel "right" every time I'm out there.

Funny how many people I hear say that about Ohio, especially the southern part of the state. I'm proud to be a resident of SE Ohio and it will always be home for me!!!

Congrats on getting some great ground to hunt. Sure hope it pays off in a big way!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Funny how many people I hear say that about Ohio, especially the southern part of the state. I'm proud to be a resident of SE Ohio and it will always be home for me!!!

Congrats on getting some great ground to hunt. Sure hope it pays off in a big way!!!

Yep yep... If jobs were a little easier to find, I do believe I'd be moving wifey and myself down there...

runhunter

Jesse, I can see why. If I want to make this move, I am lucky to be in a position where there is work right in Ashland KY. I would have a little bit of a commute each day, but it would be nothing. I'm used to an hour commute each way and out there, the traffic is 99% less than what it is here. Either way, this move is a real possibility and I'm still digging, doing research. I have 2 more trips scheduled out there before the start of the season, 3 including Sept 29th's opener. Can't get enough haha