Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackalope's Pre season Scouting Videos.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm going to start heading out more with the video camera and trying to get them on film.. I'm looking for the Wide8, Tall8 and the primary target "Tank" I managed to get some crappy footage of the Tall8 Friday but had forgotten my tripod.

Tonight I got some great footage of the Wide 8 (now a 10) and two other small ones in the beans. It's uploading to youtube right now so check back. :pickle:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
[video=youtube;bTDlMAx1S9A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTDlMAx1S9A[/video]

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The wide 10 looks like around 22" inside spread ? Looks like he is all done growing and just waiting on the velvet to shed now. Heck of a buck man.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The wide 10 looks like around 22" inside spread ? Looks like he is all done growing and just waiting on the velvet to shed now. Heck of a buck man.

This is him last week.. He's number three on the list. Wide but weak everywhere else.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Somebody correct me if i'm wrong but my calculations show he'll be around the 135 mark. All he has going for him is width.. His brows are lacking, height is lacking, and mass could be better. Don't know. He's unique no doubt. But I don't think he'll be on the hitlist.. Maybe in January if I haven't filled a tag. He didn't grow like I hoped from last year till now, so that doesn't leave much hope for next year either.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMHO Joe, he'll gross right at 140 plus or minus 1-2 inches and net mid to high 130's. He is also a deer that won't get much higher in score no matter how many more years he lives. He prolly will get heavier but he just doesn't have the genes. In most areas he is a shooter hands down but where you are hunting, I'd pass till the late season like you said earlier. Still a real nice deer and if things don't pan out with tall 8 or tank he'd be a great deer to get out of the herd and on to your wall.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Next year buddy...give those brows and G2's time to catch up..He could spring up in a year big time. We have all seen it before.

i would shoot him, but you got a biggun last year.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Next year buddy...give those brows and G2's time to catch up..He could spring up in a year big time. We have all seen it before.

i would shoot him, but you got a biggun last year.

Just talked to JD. He said the Wide 8 is a 5.5 year old this year. 2 years ago he was a 8pt, last year he was an 8pt, and this year he's a 10.. Hasn't done much but add those G4s in the past three seasons. According to the QDMA people he's invested 97% of his growing potential into his antlers this year. He needs shot. Come January If I haven't filled a tag I'll look for him. Heck of a buck but there are bigger ones around.