Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spotting Scopes

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Depends on what you plan on using it for. Without exception all the entry level spotting scopes I've had the misfortune of looking through were far too dim and poorly defined (even when focused) to be useful for spotting bullet holes at any distance beyond what you can see with a decent riflescope. Now for just seeing deer in a field I recommend getting some decent binoculars. You can get some of the Vortex and Zen Rays pretty cheap and they are good products.

From what I have seen you wont touch a vortex or Zen ray spotting scope for anywhere near 100$(300$ give or take new for both)..Alpen optics may be a option though.....They have a no fault,no receipt needed warranty like Vortex,but they make some optics on the lower price spectrum...20x50 mini spotting scope for 60$ shipped on ebay an 15 or 20$ for a window mount( if ya wanted one)..The fullzine 15-45x60 is about 130$....I aint saying they are better then vortex an I don't know to much about Zen ray(heard good),but alpen is in the price range your wanting an has a good warranty

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Mike, a few years ago I purchased a Barska 20x60x60 at Dumhams sporting goods for around $80. It is not the best but gets the job done. It cam with a little cheap table tripod. I went and bought a Vanguard model AL-3 OS. If I recall this ran me about $40. This is a great tripod that gets to a hieght that allows me to stand a fire threw the scope. The other reason I bought this tripod was it came with the window clamp, so I can mount the scope right to the window of the vehicle for spotting.

I also got a Plano pistol case from Wal-Mart to store the scope in all together I would say I have $140-$150 wrapped into it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I went thru this debate last year as well with myself. I have had one of the cheap spotting scopes made by Bushnell. I can see more picture and more clearly (more details) with my 8x42 Nikon APG binoculars. I think I had around $209-229 in those shipped. Normally around $259-289 but I shopped hard and made several offers on ebay. I decided for the money I was going to put into a decent spotting scope that I would be further ahead putting that money towards my video camera which could be used for filming hunts, the kids, vacations, etc. Ended up in the $700-800 range on my camera although I am sure it is cheaper now. They always do that to you. lol

Here is what I did which made my decision: Go to Bass Pro, Cabelas, or whatever is closest to you. Tell them what you are looking to do. Grab a spotting scope in the $100 range. Grab a pair around $300 and $500 while you are at it. Then grab some binoculars or bring your good pair along to compare. You might be surprised how much better your binoculars are than a $100 or $200 spotting scope (if you got a decent pair like you said).

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Here is what I did which made my decision: Go to Bass Pro, Cabelas, or whatever is closest to you. Tell them what you are looking to do. Grab a spotting scope in the $100 range. Grab a pair around $300 and $500 while you are at it. Then grab some binoculars or bring your good pair along to compare. You might be surprised how much better your binoculars are than a $100 or $200 spotting scope (if you got a decent pair like you said).

Me TOO Phil. Pay once, hurts once. I have a cheaper spotting scope but a good set of Leupold 12x50 binoculars. Yeah I can't go to 36x but I can see better detail even though I can't zoom in with the higher quality 12x.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep. Amazed the crap out of me when I did that. I couldn't believe I saw better detail with 8x binos than I could with a 20x spotting scope. I sold the spotting scope at one of my shows last year for $15-20. Can't believe someone bought it. lol I would have given it to someone I knew. Dude stood there and looked down the midway for a while and said "I'll take it." :smiley_clap: