Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nice 10

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here is another for you guys to check out. I am running out of bucks to post pictures of so I hope some of you guys start filling in the gaps. I can't post pictures of different bucks every day for crying out loud! While I have been fortunate to get a lot of different bucks on camera this year, I am NOT getting pumped. Two years ago I was getting a lot of bucks around the mid summer time frame. Last year I was getting jack squat. What I am learning about this property is a little discouraging. It seems to hold bucks through the summer depending on what the crop rotation is. Unfortunately, by the time the season is upon us, the majority of them disperse. While it makes for some great pictures, it is a little tough to hunt bucks that have wandered off.

Here is a nice 10pt buck. I will refrain from guessing age or score and let you guys play that game. I think I gave you plenty of angles to score him with. He offered 60 pictures on the 18th. Camera was set up on single picture because I have been getting so many pictures over the minerals at this location. I cannot believe how many pictures these bucks are posing for! I will probably not be back to check the card until mid August at which point I will probably drop a salt block in rather than refresh the minerals. I foresee the deer wanting salt for the photo opportunities more than minerals. As I close into the end of the season I will replenish the minerals and then do so again in the spring. This is the second season of using minerals at this property.

Attachments

• 7-18-12 235.jpg
    7-18-12 235.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 264
  • 7-18-12 270.jpg
    7-18-12 270.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 278
  • 7-18-12 273.jpg
    7-18-12 273.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 257
  • 7-18-12 214.jpg
    7-18-12 214.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 292
  • 7-18-12 212.jpg
    7-18-12 212.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 287
  • 7-18-12 221.jpg
    7-18-12 221.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 247
  • 7-18-12 219.jpg
    7-18-12 219.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 274

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe some day the rest of us can live up to the high standards you've set this summer Phil!!!

I am following your lead brother. You were the buck master on camera last year! I have confidence in you though. If I know anything about you, you WILL find some nice bucks by the time the season rolls around! That is one of the things you do very well!

Honestly, just depends on which one or two stick around. I am looking very fortunate right now, but only because there is one heckuva bachelor group hanging around this property THIS year. Same thing two years ago. I am only seeing a few does though. This tells me when the season gets here and the rut cometh, I am going to be staring at NOTHING! lol

One other issue with this property: Access. Half mile walk minimum to get into a stand. In flat farm country that is an eternity. They can watch you from a mile away on your way to/from your stand. You better nail one on your first sit or two, or stay out until closer to the rut and do all day sits. Double edged sword in hunting this property.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not bad, Philliam! I'm going to guess mid-to-upper 130's and 3.5 yrs old...

I was so far off on the first one I posted (Right split brow buck) I was afraid to guess. lol I was thinking 3.5 as well but was 125-130 net. Maybe gross mid to upper 130s. I can see a little more growth before he is done. I am guessing not a ton of growth left, but you never know! I want to see where he is when the velvet peels. Jesse might give me some crap about high standards, but I truly don't care if I kill a buck or not this year. I really want to surpass the ones on the wall and realize my time will be more limited this year. Give me some burger for the freezer and enjoyable time in the stand and I am happy. It is the little things in life that make me smile. Although a brute of a buck WOULD make me smile bigger!;)

Holy crap. No wonder Jesse is giving me crap. I am whining like Kaiser right now. "Waahhhh, waaahhh, waaaaahhh, I can't find a 140.:smiley_baby::tantrum::smiley_cry::smiley_bagonhead:"

Sorry Zach. I couldn't resist. lmao

Kaiser878

ohio
I was so far off on the first one I posted (Right split brow buck) I was afraid to guess. lol I was thinking 3.5 as well but was 125-130 net. Maybe gross mid to upper 130s. I can see a little more growth before he is done. I am guessing not a ton of growth left, but you never know! I want to see where he is when the velvet peels. Jesse might give me some crap about high standards, but I truly don't care if I kill a buck or not this year. I really want to surpass the ones on the wall and realize my time will be more limited this year. Give me some burger for the freezer and enjoyable time in the stand and I am happy. It is the little things in life that make me smile. Although a brute of a buck WOULD make me smile bigger!;)

Holy crap. No wonder Jesse is giving me crap. I am whining like Kaiser right now. "Waahhhh, waaahhh, waaaaahhh, I can't find a 140.:smiley_baby::tantrum::smiley_cry::smiley_bagonhead:"

Sorry Zach. I couldn't resist. lmao

haha you bastard......Well if it makes you feel any better I have not found a 140+ yet either. But I wont start whining until october.......:tantrum:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Appreciate the heads up. I didn't realize you weren't supposed to start complaining until Octoberish. My bad.

Honestly, I don't care. I have some real nice deer running around. There are a couple I am undecided on. Couple more I would like a better look at. Either way, buck or not, I am sure I will enjoy the season! Big buck on the ground is just the icing on the cake.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Maybe my eyes are starting to get bad but I can't see this buck netting over 125... Just giving my opinion so don't take it the wrong way...lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe my eyes are starting to get bad but I can't see this buck netting over 125... Just giving my opinion so don't take it the wrong way...lol

Quite possible. That is what I thought. 125-130 net. 130" IF he has some more growing left in him. I really think he was close to being done in these pics though. Nothing to take the wrong way. If that is where you think he is then this is your opinion. I posted it looking for opinions. Thanks JD.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nice buck Phil...he has genetic potential to really be something good given a little more time. But if you shoot him I understand too!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I killed a buck very similar to this one back in 02 and it still bothers me. Grossed 131 and netted 128 and was prolly a 2.5 year old. When that velvet slips off you'll see him exposed as just a mid 120's solid deer with HUGE potential and I bet if you see him from the stand he'll still get your heart thumpin'. This deer is capable of piling on some inches next fall if he gets by. Goodluck buddy!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I killed a buck very similar to this one back in 02 and it still bothers me. Grossed 131 and netted 128 and was prolly a 2.5 year old. When that velvet slips off you'll see him exposed as just a mid 120's solid deer with HUGE potential and I bet if you see him from the stand he'll still get your heart thumpin'. This deer is capable of piling on some inches next fall if he gets by. Goodluck buddy!

They all get my heart pumping! lol

I agree. I would be leaving a lot of inches of potential on the table. Thanks for the input guys.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My opinion is starting to change. I have a different number in mind. It is hovering just a tad under 140". I am seeing 139ish net here. How close am I? I feel I estimated on the conservative side. Some of those 5" might be 5.5-6" or possibly just a little more. The G3 might be 10-10.5" but then again the inside spread might only be 16" and mass might be a little high. I think my guesstimates were fairly close though. If this is the case, then I am seeing a net 140 shooter here. Either way, he is going to net bigger than the biggest I have on the wall (if my numbers were correct). This puts him in the shooter class for me. Yeehaw!

If you need anymore pictures let me know. I think I put enough angles and views up here though. He was not camera shy. Hundreds of pictures of him.

G1- 5"
G2-5"
G3- 9"
G4- 5"
Beams- 21"
Mass- 16"
Spread- 17"

Attachments

• 7-18-12 276.jpg
    7-18-12 276.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 7-18-12 273.jpg