Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hardwood floors project

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well this week I started putting down hardwood flooring in the hall of our house. By the time I am finished laying it all it will be the hallway, office, and hall closet. Monday night was just a prep night. Getting all the baseboard off the walls and the old baseboard radiator from the non-existent boiler system off the wall. I also had to cut all the door jams up 3/4" to allow for the flooring to fit in underneath.

Tuesday night I got a late start due to work running over. Didn't get the first board laid till 8:40. But it was started none the less.
uploadfromtaptalk1342751839737.jpg

Wednesday I got home and was able to get a decent amount done. Although cutting out for the floor register added a little bit of time.
uploadfromtaptalk1342751944907.jpg

Tonight I was able to almost finish the hallway. I just need to do some sanding on the flooring to level it and get my hands on my bro in laws table saw to make some mitre cuts to finish the threshold and the hallway will be done.
uploadfromtaptalk1342752094566.jpg

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well I normally try not to work on Sundays, but wanted to get this done. My bro in law brought over his table saw so we could rip the mitre joints needed to finish. That turned out really nice.

uploadfromtaptalk1343004940966.jpg

The wife painted friday so the walls are freshly finished. We also got all the baseboard back up so the hallway is officially done.

uploadfromtaptalk1343005036339.jpg

Now on to do the office floor.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Thanks for all the nice compliments guys. I was real happy with how it turned out as this easy first go at laying hard wood.

Last night I started the office. It tool a while to get the office cleared, all the baseboard removed, and the floor prepped before I could start laying the floor in there. However I did get some put down.

uploadfromtaptalk1343179956283.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1343179972556.jpg

Tonight I had to decide between laying hard wood or my hard wood getting laid. That one was a no brainer. :p

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looking nice man. I did that in my house a few years ago.. I laid the entire house except the bathrooms, 1,800 Sq feet of hardwood flooring in one continuous piece. Not a single gap anywhere. Was probably the most difficult, time consuming, PITA, thing I have ever done. Some of the rooms had to be laid backwards. If I had it to do over again I would lay it normal room by room and put in threshold strips like you did.. It looks nice but it wasn't worth the hours and frustration. Just a reminder. When you put those basebords back down be sure not to lay them too tight on top of the flooring. It may have room to expand and contract at the edges but if the baseboards are holding it down it won't budge and will bow. I had a couple tight spots and had to pull the baseboards, let the floor settle and put them back. I imagine I had more of an issue with it because mine is all in one piece but it could be an issue for you in larger rooms.

Last edited:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Looks real good so far Stevo! You got to get your work done before bow season starts.

What made you decide to use hardwood instead of the newer laminates?

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Looks real good so far Stevo! You got to get your work done before bow season starts.

What made you decide to use hardwood instead of the newer laminates?

The hard wood was free was probably the largest factor. My bro-in-law had to totally redo their house back in 08 due to a house fire, this was all left over and there should be enough for me to finish the office and the closet in the hallway.

The office is the largest room I am doing Jack, so I don't corded to many issues as far as bowing goes. With the humidity the way it has been I have been keeping super cool in the house to try and ward off any of the wood being warped cause of the high humidity.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Well they are finally done. Got started into the office made it almost half way across the room and realized that I had a pivot point that wasn't going away and only getting worse right in the middle of the room.

uploadfromtaptalk1344373678370.jpg

When I got to the point where the wall turns I just followed the wall which ended up being crooked and threw everything off. The further out I went the worse it got. So I ended up tearing up all the flooring back to the corner and squaring it back up so the tongue and groove would go together right. Ended up tearing a total of 65 boards up to male it right. Fortunately I was able to salvage all the boards and reuse them. As I pulled them up I flipped them and need them with a sharpie so I would just be able to lay them back in the same order.

Here is the office finished up.

uploadfromtaptalk1344374020954.jpg

I had enough left over to put it in the hallway closer and the closet in the office. Man am I glad to have that project done.