Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Double split brow

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So I posted the right split brow buck and he isn't going to make the cut this year. Until this year I have NEVER gotten a picture of a buck with a split brow tine (let alone double splits) in the last 4 years of running a camera. I have run cameras on 6-8 properties and they are spread out although in the same two counties. They cover roughly 15 miles of spread from the farthest two properties apart. I had accepted the fact we just plain don't have them around here. This year however, things have changed. Out of the blue, I have two different bucks with split brow tines.

The buck I am about to post is pretty cool in my opinion. Sadly, I am just not sure he is going to make the grade this year either. Despite his "cool" factor, I really think he could be amazing in another year or two. I will try to dig up pictures of him from last year. I want to say he is 3.5yr old this year. If so, last year he was very impressive as a 2.5yr old. I suppose he could just be a short tined 4.5yr old this year, but I think this might be a stretch.

The question comes again: Where do you think he ends up age wise and score? Shooter or not, this can be a fun way to get our heads into the deer season mindset (as if we don't think about it all year anyway lol).

Below are pictures I believe are the same deer last season and pictures from early-mid June.

Attachments

• PICT0296 shorty.jpg
    PICT0296 shorty.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 296
  • PICT0206 8-24-11 shorty on the shelf.jpg
    PICT0206 8-24-11 shorty on the shelf.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 277
  • PICT0294 9-1-11 shorty.jpg
    PICT0294 9-1-11 shorty.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 308
  • 551 6-13-12 double split 10 front view.jpg
    551 6-13-12 double split 10 front view.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 240
  • 556 6-13-12 double split right view.jpg
    556 6-13-12 double split right view.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 242
  • 575 6-13-12 double split 10 close  up.jpg
    575 6-13-12 double split 10 close up.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 280

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here are some more recent pictures of him showing some decent growth in the last month. He is going to be more tempting than the right split brow buck. I see decent width, nice character with the split brows, a good number of points, and a buck with amazing potential. Need to make a better decision when the velvet peels. I am on the fence with this guy. Even if he were to reach the 140" mark, I think he might be one to let go do to potential. I just don't know yet.

Attachments

• 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 263
  • 163.jpg
    163.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 384.jpg
    384.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 273
  • 176.jpg
    176.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 174.jpg
    174.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 312
  • 385.jpg
    385.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 251
  • 478.jpg
    478.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 248

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Unless you can guarantee that a neighboring property won't have a crack at him, you would be crazy to let him walk. Will he survive to fulfill his potential? that is the question to ask. Take my scenario... on one side of the property I hunt is a sportsman club. On the other is a property that sees alot of hunters all season. And on the other (yes I'm in the middle) is a farm that has hunters. A buck like that will not be passed on by all those hunters.

Heck, what am I saying? That's a shooter!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Unless you can guarantee that a neighboring property won't have a crack at him, you would be crazy to let him walk. Will he survive to fulfill his potential? that is the question to ask. Take my scenario... on one side of the property I hunt is a sportsman club. On the other is a property that sees alot of hunters all season. And on the other (yes I'm in the middle) is a farm that has hunters. A buck like that will not be passed on by all those hunters.

Heck, what am I saying? That's a shooter!

I agree. He will NOT be passed by others. There are two guys hunting a neighboring property. If either of them tagged him I would be happy for them. I bumped into them today. Then there are the couple of guys that hunt gun season there. Drive in from MI to hunt this property. I roll the dice here. I am more worried about the trespassers and poachers. I don't know. Probably decide when the velvet peels.

Or if I get a shot at him from the stand. . . you know sometimes those bucks that sneak up on you can force a snap decision before you confirm. If I did that with this buck I don't think I would be terribly upset. lmao

Let's see:
G1- 5"
G2- 5"
g3- 6"
G4-5"
Main beam- 21"
Mass- 20"?
62"x2= 124 plus inside spread 20"=144"

I tried to guess low but the mass might be off. Not sure how to score split brow tines either. Just counted them as one tine. I tried to figure for the weak side as well. How close am I? Ric? JD? JB? I know some of you guys are a lot better at this than I am.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm coming up with mid to high 130s after the velvet peels. He's a solid buck... no doubt about that. Good mass (probably 32-35" worth) and a nice inside spread. IMO he's a mature deer and I would probably let him have it if given the opportunity. It's hard to say whether or not he's the same deer as the one in the pics from last year. They both certainly have similarities in the frame. I can tell you this, though... IMO there's no way in hell that buck from last year was only a 2.5 yr old then. Look at the belly on that deer!... He was at least 3.5 last year...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm coming up with mid to high 130s after the velvet peels. He's a solid buck... no doubt about that. Good mass (probably 32-35" worth) and a nice inside spread. IMO he's a mature deer and I would probably let him have it if given the opportunity. It's hard to say whether or not he's the same deer as the one in the pics from last year. They both certainly have similarities in the frame. I can tell you this, though... IMO there's no way in hell that buck from last year was only a 2.5 yr old then. Look at the belly on that deer!... He was at least 3.5 last year...

Quite possible. They were all fat last year though. He looks thinner this year than last. Then again, his food source choices have not been as good this year. Same choices, less moisture. Putting the deer on an antler diet I predict. If he was at least 3.5yr old last year, then he is at least 4.5yr old this year. Tough to tell 4-5-6-7 for me. Once they pass 4.5 I have heard many say it is tough to separate them by age. Given this opinion, I would say he makes the list. Let's get some more opinions first. I don't think another year will hurt him. The million dollar question is if another year will help him? I don't know.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Let me intervene again... I can't see how he won't get your blood pumping if he presents a shot.

No doubt. I am sure he will. If we see a general consensus of this guy being mature and still not making 140", he might have to take an arrow. I have said it before Cotty, I don't have to kill a buck to have a good season. If this dude stands a chance of hitting 150-160" next year AND this is the second year in a row I have been getting him on camera. . . I might have to wait. I will never kill a 140 or 150 if I keep killing them at 135-139". Someone else kills him? That might be a chance I take.

Let's get some more opinions before I decide. Let's get some more pics. Let's see what else is running around. Let's see if he sticks around as the season nears. Let's see if he still has it when the velvet peels. Lots of variables here. Nothing is guaranteed. Sure is fun talking about it and getting pumped for the season though!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Quite possible. They were all fat last year though. He looks thinner this year than last. Then again, his food source choices have not been as good this year. Same choices, less moisture. Putting the deer on an antler diet I predict. If he was at least 3.5yr old last year, then he is at least 4.5yr old this year. Tough to tell 4-5-6-7 for me. Once they pass 4.5 I have heard many say it is tough to separate them by age. Given this opinion, I would say he makes the list. Let's get some more opinions first. I don't think another year will hurt him. The million dollar question is if another year will help him? I don't know.

I should have clarified... It's not really that he looked "fat" last year... Look how the bottom of his chest and belly run parallel to the ground, all the way to the back leg. It doesn't matter how much or how little food is available... You almost never see this in a 2.5 yr old deer, even in pen-raised deer. For your typical 2.5 yr old, that belly will start angling upwards from the back of the ribs toward hip bone. It could just be the angles of those pics I guess... But from what I'm seeing he was older than 2.5 last year.

As far as whether another year will help or hurt, that's hard to say because you don't have his genetic code laying in front of you. But, if it IS indeed the same deer from last year, he doesn't appear to have made a very big jump... especially considering he quite possibly went from 3.5 to 4.5 years old. Some more opinions would be great here... But I say, if you don't see a bigger one on your cams, whack him if he walks by.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I should have clarified... It's not really that he looked "fat" last year... Look how the bottom of his chest and belly run parallel to the ground, all the way to the back leg. It doesn't matter how much or how little food is available... You almost never see this in a 2.5 yr old deer, even in pen-raised deer. For your typical 2.5 yr old, that belly will start angling upwards from the back of the ribs toward hip bone. It could just be the angles of those pics I guess... But from what I'm seeing he was older than 2.5 last year.

Good points. I was looking at this year's pictures and thinking 3.5yr old. After going back and looking at last year's pictures again, I concur with your opinion. Then again, I find summer pictures difficult to age. Never said I was any good at it either. lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
From my iPhone I think JB is pretty close with him netting in the the mid 130's and Zach could be right in that he might hit right at the 140 mark depending if this buck could lengthen things up a bit. IMO, other than giving his right side G4 a 5" measurement and 20" of mass I think you did pretty good Phil. I'd give his mass the typical 16" per side maybe 17" as he carries nice mass and spread. I'd also give him 18" for spread just to take in account of the velvet.

This is a really nice buck with great upside. If he gives you a shot he'd be really hard to pass considering the limited time you might have this season. It would be great if he gets by this season just to see how big he'd get but I wouldn't be disappointed if he fell to my arrow and I had a shorter season than average. Goodluck buddy!

Being conservative so far I have him scoring 134" net.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Oh, the million dollar question is I'm sure he'd blow up into the 150's and maybe alittle higher but it's no guarantee he will survive to do that.

Since I don't care about net scores anyway as far as gross he'll be right at 140 or alittle more when the velvet falls IMO. That makes him a shooter in my book!:smiley_coolpeace:

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Mass is a tough one to judge with velvet on. Thanks for the insight. 15" per side sounds like more of a reality then. Deduct 10" from my score and we are at 134. AFter looking at the right G4, I agree with you on this one too Ric. I must have looked at the left G4. Right g4 might be closer to 3.5-4". This would be if they measure to the center of the main beam rather than the top of the main beam. I am pretty sure this is how it is done but I could be wrong. There goes another 2-4" off the gross. We keep this up and this dude is going to turn into an 85" dink. lol

One thing which I think makes our deer tough to judge is the body size. We have some big bodied deer around here. Some of them are big bodied and make the racks look small. Others are more average and you can get a good guess on the antlers. If you look at the two deer on my walls right next to each other, you can easily see how much they can vary around here. When it comes to trail camera pictures, it makes it tough for me to judge sometimes unless there are two deer standing next to each other. Let me pull some pictures and see if I can find an example.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
7-13-12 398.jpg7-10-12 360.jpg384.jpg

This might give you a decent idea on body size differences around here. Looking at these adds to what JB said as well. I really am not seeing him as a 2.5 last year. He is a pretty big bodied deer. Not the biggest I have seen around here, but plenty of burger in that boy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I made some edits on my previous posts Phil so you might reread it. He'll carry at least 16" of mass per side IMO.

He makes the top 3. Couple others I will post up every few days to liven things up around here. I am probably a month away from checking cameras again (on this property) at this point. Doesn't matter if they are in the area now. Only matters which ones stick around for the season.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Drum roll please! I don't know fellas. He put on some, but I haven't really done much other than categorize pictures tonight. Just now posting. I haven't gone back yet to recalculate score. I will just shut up now and post the pics. lol

I should add, the pictures from today were probably some of the best I have gotten. I have never gotten so many nice bucks in a bachelor group together at once. Generally just 2 or maybe 3. There were 5 deer in there and I would say 4 are over 120". 3 of them probably over 130". Now the million dollar question is: Which ones will still be around when the velvet peels?

Attachments

• 058.jpg
    058.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 256
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg