Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Free Webinar TOMORROW - Increasing Mast Production

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
A buddy of mine who is a Consulting Forester just forwarded this to me, and I think it could be very beneficial to us deer hunters who have a strong passion for habitat improvement. If you have an hour or so available around lunch time today(July 18th 12p-1p), I highly recommend sitting in on this webinar. There are 110 available "seats" and it's a first-come-first-serve registration. If you miss the lunch time slot, it will also be available between 7 and 8 pm.

-----

Dear ForestConnect Webinar participants:

See below for details to connect to the July 18, 2012 – “Enhancing Mast (Food) Production for Woodland Wildlife” will be presented by Dave Apsley at Ohio State University Cooperative Extension. The site is open and you can test your connection from the URL belownow, or you can wait until the last minute to determine if there are any connection difficulties.

Your registration to the webinar database assures that you receive this notice of the connection details. Registration does not guarantee you a "seat". Seating is first come, first served. Our site license allows us to seat a total of 110 people at one time. We often fill all "seats" during the noon session and unfortunately some people are excluded. You should arrive early for a topic of special interest. The evening session has not previously filled to capacity. All webinars are recorded for subsequent viewing. Earliest access to the recorded webinars, including select questions/answers, is via http://CornellForestConnect.ning.com in a blog entry the date of the webinar (or the next day).

This webinar has been approved for 1.0 CEU credit in category 2 by the Society of American Foresters.

More information and documentation about webinars is available at:
https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a227210/participatemeeting/ (for participants)
https://admin.adobe.acrobat.com/_a227210/acpmeetingoverview/ (for presenters)

Please email me with any concerns.

thanks,
Peter

==========================================================================================

Summary for ForestConnect Webinar. Please don't forward this email.
  • Topic: Enhancing Mast (Food) Production for Woodland Wildlife by Dave Apsley at Ohio State University Cooperative Extension.
  • Date: Wednesday July 18, 2012
  • Times: 12:00 to 1:00 PM and 7:00 to 8:00 PM eastern times. Questions often last a several extra minutes
  • Webinar URL:http://breeze.cce.cornell.edu/r283z0gue12/ (click this link or copy and paste into your browser window. The site is active and you can test the link now.) Join the webinar as a guest using your first and last name. There are no logins or passwords for participants.
  • Supplemental review material http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0060.html
========================================================================================
Lots of details below (read here for troubleshooting assistance).....

1. The site is accessible, but there won't be any action until approximately 20 minutes prior to the webcast. A welcome note or the first Powerpoint slide is visible. You should try the connection now to ensure you don't have any glitches. To make sure you can connect, try the site via the hotlink above. PLEASE do not share these links. Rather, encourage friends and family to register independently (it's fast, free and happens only once). This allows me to track usage and justify the "free" use of the site license (it's actually quite expensive, with our thanks to Cornell University Cooperative Extension). As you know, you register at www.ForestConnect.info

To Access the site, click on the WEBCAST URL above and then select the "guest" option and sign in with your name. Try this NOW and let me know if you have a problem signing in. You'll repeat the same sign-in process at the time of the webcast on the third Wednesday of the month. If you are prompted for a password, something's gone wrong. Make sure you select the "guest" button and try again. [some folks have found the following helpful if their initial attempt failed]......If the hotlink to the URL doesn't work, refresh the screen or copy and paste the URL into your browser window and try again. You might also try a different web browser (Netscape, Explorer, Firefox, etc.). Some of the Macintosh web browsers have experienced difficulty. You might also need to allow pop-ups for the time you're connected.

3. When you arrive at the site via one of the above URL, you can test your sound capacity via the "meeting" pull-down menu and then the audio wizard. During the conference, participants will be able to hear but not speak to the conference. If you are using a modem, our experience is that the graphics & pictures will display, but the sound may lag a bit. Honestly, modem users typically get frustrated. Perhaps visit your local library or office of Cornell Cooperative Extension (call first).

4. Handouts related to the webcast, if provided, are available via the web conference site at www.ForestConnect.info

5. You can practice typing a note on the chat pod. I will clear any existing notes when we start the webcast and before I start the recording.

6. There are 110 accessible slots, first come first served.

++++++++++++++++++
Peter J. Smallidge, Ph.D.
NYS Extension Forester
Director, Arnot Teaching and Research Forest
Director, Cornell Maple Program

pjs23@cornell.edu
www.ForestConnect.info
www.ArnotForest.info
www.CornellMaple.info

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Shoot, sorry... the webinar is TODAY.... I repeat, the webinar is TODAY! Could one of the mods change the "TOMORROW" in the thread title to say "TODAY"... thanks.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The webinar is wrapping up with questions right now. It was very informative... not too simple, not too complex. Learned some fun facts about oaks and other crop trees. In synopsis, about the best thing you can do (widlife-related) with your property is to go around and inventory all of your mast trees... hard and soft. At each one, look up at the canopy and determine how much open space there is around the crown. This is called the "Free to Grow" factor. Zero space around the crown = FtG factor of 0. 2/4 quadrants with free space = FtG of 2... and open space around all four quadrants of the crown = FtG of 4. Over a 10 year period, trees with a FtG = 4 had a growth rate over two times that of trees with a FtG = 0. So if your desired crop tree is being crowded around the crown, GIRDLE the tree that is doing the crowding. Take a chainsaw and cut through the bark, just into the cambium, all the way around the tree... Do this twice, about 4-5" apart. This will effectively kill the tree (by stopping its ability to transfer nutrients up top), while leaving it standing. The dead tree will usually fall over in pieces instead of all at once. According to the research, LIGHT is the most important factor is flower/seed/fruit production for the crop trees.... So giving the crop trees more space in the canopy will pay high dividends in feeding the wildlife on your property.

You can catch the entire webinar again tonight at 7:00 p.m. EST. If you're a landowner, or leasee with management permissions, I highly recommend sitting in on this... It's a great resource, and it's FREE!

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
so your saying cut every bastard maple tree you find and pray for rain?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Oh yea, another thing... DIVERSITY, DIVERSITY, DIVERSITY. This sort of goes without saying, but the more diverse the population of crop trees on your property the better. Having multiple species of crop trees ensures that a broader spectrum of wildlife will benefit from them. Also, it helps keep the "food supply" on your property safer from disease and damaging insects.