Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Right split brow buck: TOO shoot or not TOO shoot?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tell me what you think fellas. I am not sure about this one. He definitely has some character. I am loving the brow tines! I am just not sure if the rest of his tines are going to do much and when the velvet peels I think he might disappoint. At this point in the growing season, I think it is a tough call. He might be 75% done growing or 95%. You just never know. They are all a bit different and he could surprise me. Help me to decide. Lets get some guesses on where he will end up in score and what his age is. I am on the fence.

Attachments

• 6-29-12 368 fr view.jpg
    6-29-12 368 fr view.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 7-4-12 438.jpg
    7-4-12 438.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 7-9-12 601 rt view.jpg
    7-9-12 601 rt view.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 7-4-12 176.jpg
    7-4-12 176.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 7-4-12 442 lft side view.jpg
    7-4-12 442 lft side view.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 7-9-12 597 rear view.jpg
    7-9-12 597 rear view.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 7-8-12 550 closeup.jpg
    7-8-12 550 closeup.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 254
  • 7-8-12 549 closeup.jpg
    7-8-12 549 closeup.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 263

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe I should add my guesses? I am seeing him finishing around 132-137" gross. I would put him at 3.5yrs with a "maybe" 4.5yrs. Only reason I say this is due to the couple extra sticker points around the bases, the split brow, and body. He has some sag in his belly, but not major. I would think a 2.5yr old would be missing the belly sag. His back? Might have the slightest start of a sag in it rather than straight and perpendicular to the belly. Most likely 3.5yr old in my opinion. I really think this is a deer we could see hit the 150" (or bigger?) mark next year if he makes it. Throw in a normal or wet season which could benefit antler growth, and another year to mature and he might really surprise us next year. This is the main reason I say I am on the fence. I am okay killing does and filling my freezer. I can appreciate this buck and watch him grow another year. Then again, he might have another month of growing and make him awfully difficult to pass on if he gives me a clean shot. I will not have as much time to hunt this year as last. The character is pretty cool as well in my opinion.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I'll have to wait till I'm at my puter to be of any help, dang phone blurs out bigtime when I zoom in Phil. Looks like he might have some potential though.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm sure you know what my thought is but do what YOU want...

I understand your position. I respect your knowledge. I realize your deer might make different leaps in one year's time than mine, but I would like your opinion. Where do you think he is age wise? How big a jump might I expect if I wait a year? I have a couple others I am keeping an eye on so don't think you are going to hurt my feelings. I feel he is a respectable deer, but I just am not sure what he "might" do if he has another year. I slapped tags on 4 does last year. Passed a 120ish buck at 58yds during muzzle loader season. I can wait. Matters not to me if I tag a buck this year or not. I will enjoy my time in the stand either way. Lay it out there JD. I wanted opinions. If I can't take the opinions then I shouldn't have opened myself up to it. lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Alright Phil, I couldn't wait to get home so's I can get a better look at this deer. IMO, I think you are close on age with him being 3.5 to 4.5 years old. He's got alittle sway and sag but not alot like you noted earlier. IMO, his brows are done as well as his mass on his beams and spread. What's left for him to add too are the tips on his G2's,3's his G4 on his left side and his MB tips. I think his G2's are mostly done as well. So everything from the 3's on out are where most of his future growth will come from, from here on out. I estimated his score right now with the velvet at around 110"If I underestimated anything it would have been his beam length. His beams do come up high on his head before leveling out but as of right now I am being conservative giving him 18". How much will he put on till his velvet comes off? No clue! My guess is he prolly won't gross 125" because he has to add alot more inches and then you have to deduct at least 10" for the velvet. This is still a nice deer and he will look impressive from the stand because of how high his rack sits on his head but he will still prolly end up being scored an 8 point cuz his right side looks weak and prolly won't grow a G4 anyway. It takes a real nice 8 point to score P&Y! I just don't see his mass and G3's helping him get there, but he still has time to grow. I do love his brows and how high his rack sits though. I'd pass on him and hope he gets by till next year just to see what he does. Sorry for my lengthy opinion but just wanted you understand why I agree with JD.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I agree with Ric. I would pass on him, I don't see this farm country deer being any more than 3.5 years old at the most right now. He can get a lot bigger next year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He'd get a free pass from me. I think you're a little high on your score estimate, Phil. I'm seeing a borderline Pope & Young deer. He could use another year, IMO. But, if he gets your heart pumping then by all means let him have it!

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I would say he is 3 1/2. I would pass and see what he grew into, but that is just me. The toughest call is to tell some one if they should shoot or not. It would be easier if you let us know what your goals and expectations for the season were, then we could give you an honest opinion of what we think you should do. Good luck this season, and I can wait to see some more pics of him.

runhunter

All good points, and I also agree, that 3.5 is probably where he is at. FS is probably right on with his guess of being in the 110" range, maybe 115". You have to figure, they have about 2-3 weeks left to grow before they start to harden, and he's probably 80-90% done. He is a good deer, with a lot of potential, but if you are on the fence now, him shedding that velvet won't help you decide. Nothing you don't know I'm sure. Bottom line, you know your properties, the pressure it gets, and the types of deer it holds. If you can manage to shoot does and give him a pass, and you are somewhat certain he can make it until next year, I say pass him. I do like what he has the potential to become. Funny how states differ, in NJ, that's a no brainer, shoot him first chance. With normal rain, another year under his belt he could be in the high 30's mid 40's next year. I'll sign on that line all day long!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thank you FS! That is what I was looking for.

Monster Raxx- My standards? Not going to have as much time to hunt this year. Not a good enough reason to drop my standards in my opinion. I have a 138 and 139 on the wall. Going to have to be comparable or bigger. Only exception would be a monster on his way down hill. I have one which might fit the bill this year.

Last year I had 4 encounters with 3 different bucks I would consider shooters. It just didn't work out. That is hunting. Despite not tagging a buck, I would still call it one of my best seasons ever. Tagging a buck does not dictate whether I have had a good season or not.

Had this buck at 75yds twice in the same day last year. Brow tines were 11" and 11.25" for reference. Two years history with this buck before he was killed on a neighboring property. An 8ac neighboring property with a guy clueless he existed that hunted less than a week. It was heart breaking.

Browtine is dead.jpggenimage.jpg

Had this buck under 15yds. I was half way up my tree. All I could do was wait for him to pass thru and hope he came back. My buddy killed him later. I was happy for him.

PICT1358.jpgPICT1357.jpg

Had another deer within 60 yds that I know was 6.5yr old last year. Just never close enough for a shot. Had him at 30yds on the ground once as well but there was a huge bush between us. Not a shot. He is still alive. No pics or videos will be posted of him until he is dead. He has it. Mass, character, physical size, and "wow factor". Shooter for sure.

Four opportunities at 3 different mature bucks in one season is unprecedented for me. Just a little background.

I passed on these guys last year.

PICT0162 front shot of rack.jpgPICT0082 head down showing mass.jpgPICT0092 8-16-11 Drippy or Crabby.jpgPICT0059 8-16-11 Drippy or Crabby.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
He walks with me as well. Definitely needs another year...

You all summed it up pretty well. I have analyzed my thinking here. I think about this time of the year if we aren't seeing a sure thing "shooter" we start looking for reasons to shoot a lesser buck. I think I was wishing and hoping he might put on another 20" before the season starts. I just don't think it is going to happen and you guys have verified it.

Not a problem. Watching the two grey fox frolic and play in 2010 was as big a highlight as killing my buck. Tagging the big doe with 20 minutes of season left last year had me pumped up like I tagged a bruiser of a buck. I am going into this season with low hopes due to less time available to hunt. Sometimes when you go into a season with a mindset like this. . . this is when things happen. You just never know!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Does he meet the criteria of "The Vow" ? (OMG I'm such an ass, but I love ya brother Phil!)

Originally post on 11/22/10 on TOO at 9:18 am
1. Zach- I don't think so. First bow kill, so biggest bow kill obviously. My 2008 buck was 139 3/8 gross 9pt in my avatar photo. Netted 129 3/8. Taken with Remington 870. This buck has a broken brow, so there goes minus 10-12" off the bat. Oh well, I won't complain anymore since it was my first bow buck.

Mark my words guys. If I eat a bow tag the next 5 years waiting on a bigger one, you heard it hear first. Wall rule. Two nice bucks on the wall. One gun, one bow. The next ones need to be bigger. I am willing to eat the tags, and eat does all year if that is what it takes. You heard it hear first. Now, next year you can all bash me if I shoot a 110" deer. ahhahaha
Hicks vow.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
Then Hicks I say you let him walk. If you are looking for a buck similar to your others I dont see him scoring that high (unless you use a couple guys I know's tape's :)) If he makes it through the year he will be a special buck next year. I would rather eat a tasty doe than a buck that I regret shooting.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What the heck, here are some more. The more I look at him, the more I agree with you all. Thank you for being candid.

Attachments

• 7-18-12 259.jpg
    7-18-12 259.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 7-18-12 201.jpg
    7-18-12 201.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 220

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Love how everyone on this site can be honest and not all bitter, obviously everyone has their own opinion. I would pass him bc he will be a DANDY next year imo. Its not like it would be your first p&y buck and theres def better potential with the double split brow buck. I have the gut feeling reading this post that if you shot him you would be disappointed.