Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

learning to call

gonna do my first turkey hunt this year, just bought a new box call today, couldnt pass it up for 4.50, anyways, any tips for learning to use one of these calls, only thing i know is to keep it sequential when calling. any tips or video links would be greatly appreciated

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's great that you've decided to get into turkey calling and hunting! Youtube is one hell of a valuable resource when it comes to calling critters... From waterfowl, to elk, to turkeys, to whatever... if it can be called to, there's probably a how-to video of some sort on youtube.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What JB said. I tried it this year for the first time. Youtube was helpful. Info from the guys on TOO was extremely helpful.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
YouTube for sure. And lots of practice. I ran a mouth call for years before every actually hunting with one, then called in and killed my first long beard with one. You can never practice TOO much when it comes to calling wild animals...

yea not sure but i think turkeys and coyotes are the hardest from what people told me, i kinda picked it up with the box call, found a good video on youtbe that helped. might go out to my property sometime and try to call some in kinda like a mock calling i guess just to see how it turns out

ill prolly stick to the box call, only cause the slate with the stick looks harder and the motuh piece i just dont feel like keepin in my mouth for hours and it gettin soggy and all that, i kinda like the box i can do the yelps and the cut, having some trouble with the purr tho