Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What the hell hatched!!??

buckstar25

T-county
Does anyone else have any information on what insect could be hatching right now or has just hatched!? My front porch is covered with a mosquito looking bug! There are 10's of thousands of them.... I am still looking for info but if anyone else is goin through this please post something. I will go get a pic as soon as I post this.

buckstar25

T-county
Dang Sam! You are on it! I just found some pics! We have never had an invasion like this! Wonder if it's because it's so dry???? I hosed the house down and they moved to a Catawba tree at the neighbors..... Here are a few pics, but yes it seems to be midges. What do you do for them? Nothin?

? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342390256.855518.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342390276.216720.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Other than just being annoying, midges will not hurt you... they don't even have biting mouthparts. Just try to keep your house closed up tight!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Hope they are not biting midges.

Biting midges are extremely annoying, but none are known to transmit disease agents to humans in the U.S. They have a much greater impact on non-human animals, both as biting pests and vectors of disease agents. In North America, the most important disease agent transmitted by biting midges is Blue Tongue virus.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
They are just anoying as others have said. We get them inside every year and each night/morning I can go around and kill tons of them grouped in the corners of rooms.

At work we actually had to create positive airflow to push out of the buildings when doors are opened to keep them out of our manufacturing process. Working their way into our product creats a quality defect :)