Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just Part of what we do

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A lot of you know that I've been in the Air Force Reserves for many years now and I figured I post up some of the things we do out in the world..... We have a mission that came too us moving up from Rickenbacker AFB in Columbus back in the early 90's We retro fitted our aircraft which were relatively new at the time and started in to the business of of an Aerial Spay mission. I'm posting a clip of a mission that they are currently on down in Florida. We also spray in Va, SC, ND, ID, and Utah. We have a few different spray missions but the bulk of it is mosquito control, as well as a defoliant and also do a oil dispersant as well.....

[video]http://www.local10.com/news/Spraying-underway-for-mosquitos-in-Homestead/-/1717324/15473066/-/jv65epz/-/index.html[/video]

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Pretty kick ass man. far more advanced than the fogger truck they drove around when I was a kid. Cool stuff :smiley_coolpeace:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's bad ass, J! What are you guys spraying?... larvicide or adulticide? Do you work with Clarke at all on this? We get all of our larvicide from Clarke and I've heard their reps mention aerial spraying on more than one occasion. This is pretty cool stuff.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jim, as far as I'm aware of it's an insecticide working on the adult mosquitoes it may work on the larva but they may be an after effect, we spray it at a rate of 1 ounce per acre @ 200 knots approx. It's pretty hi tech stuff these days with all the avionics tied into the spray system and using GPS and grids. They do a lot of testing with cards on the ground showing coverage and of course we have entomologists who work for us as well that get into the nitty gritty of the bugs biology. Can't remember the companies name but they do work with them on a regular basis as far as upgrading methods of applications. We go as far as working with a university down in Texas that has a wind tunnel that we have a mock up of a boom that the spray comes out too see what configuration and nozzles too be used and airspeeds too get too for optimum performance. I used too work in the shop that maintained the systems but have since moved on too more stable work enviroment... Lots of traveling in the spray business and it got old pretty quick especially when hurricanes and floods pop up it gets really crazy then..... Just about every hurricane in the last 40 years there has been a spay bird on it after the first few days..... I was on hurricane Andrew and Floyd and we were gone for months afterwards....

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I can remember the planes buzzing the house when we lived in Cape Coral, FL in the 80-90's
The first time those guys buzzed by ( there were 3 of them) I thought there was a plane going down TOO. I honestly dove between the bed and the wall waiting for the sound of a crash and explosion. The whole house shook! When it didn't go boom, I ran outside in time to see the second or third one buzz by! Man were they low! I have herd of some cowboys clipping power lines over the years but its rare! For the most part, it must be a blast to do that and its a service that is badly needed some years!
It was in the first couple of days we moved to SW FL. and I knew nothing about the spray program.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Here is some footage from the gulf oil spill, which the mission was called Deep Water Horizon.... They were down there for about 6 weeks....

[video=youtube;MTTRxjCgFU0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTTRxjCgFU0[/video]

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
This is what happens when you get somebody with an idea but no common sense, lets pull an aircraft that is 40+ years old and not inspect it like it should be and ask it too do what a newer aircraft can do.... It's not pretty and god rest their soles.... But there is so much too look at before anything like this is attemted and it's not about the money all the time....

[video=youtube;4bDNCac2N1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bDNCac2N1o&feature=related[/video]

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
J you ever worked with or coincided with the 179th out of Mansfield? They fly right over my place all the time. I know there is talk about closing them, this is the second time they are talking about it on like 9 years.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J you ever worked with or coincided with the 179th out of Mansfield? They fly right over my place all the time. I know there is talk about closing them, this is the second time they are talking about it on like 9 years.

Used too know a couple of guys over there years ago, but they all retired and youngins moved into their posittions.... They are losing their aircraft but aren't closing the base.... The Civil Engineering squadron will stay open there as well as a couple of squadrons.... Just no air planes and the loss that comes with that....

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
That is going to leave a lot of airport for just a few small planes. I believe Lahm has the second longest runway in the state. I know they have had some special planes land there a few times, Air Force 1, and that monster plane from Russia landed there once also.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That is going to leave a lot of airport for just a few small planes. I believe Lahm has the second longest runway in the state. I know they have had some special planes land there a few times, Air Force 1, and that monster plane from Russia landed there once also.

Yeah the Russian plane is a little bigger than our C-5 but not a whole lot and they can use pretty much the same runway..... When we were in Kyrgyzstan back in 04 we saw those on a daily basis.....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah the Russian plane is a little bigger than our C-5 but not a whole lot and they can use pretty much the same runway..... When we were in Kyrgyzstan back in 04 we saw those on a daily basis.....

Those Crazy Ruskies and their giant Flying Machines. lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Take a look at this one Joe..... Battle of the flying barges.....

[video=youtube;79gLwqrl_oI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79gLwqrl_oI[/video]

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
To be an Aerospace engineer for the Airforce, you need to remember one rule..

"Nothing is too heavy or big to fly! Nothing! Just design bigger wings and more engines! lol"

Those C-5s fro WPAFB fly over my house all the time.. Fuggin massive.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
To be an Aerospace engineer for the Airforce, you need to remember one rule..

"Nothing is too heavy or big to fly! Nothing! Just design bigger wings and more engines! lol"

They proved it with this one.....

[video=youtube;wrIRKY8o-ww]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrIRKY8o-ww&feature=related[/video]

The F-4 proved if you mount enough HP on a rock it'll fly..... :smiley_clap:

Take a look at this one Joe..... Battle of the flying barges.....

[video=youtube;79gLwqrl_oI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79gLwqrl_oI[/video]

Have you ever seen a AN-224 they are huge. the AN-124 is only a little bigger than a c5. BTW Russia aircrews are some shady mother f**kers. Im tell a couple stories when I'm off work. Another thing c17 aircrews are the dumbest in the USAF.

Last edited: