Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trip #2

runhunter

I was out in April, and I'll be headed back to Scioto County next weekend. The trip from NJ is about 8-9 hours. I should be out there Friday night, so we can be up before dawn, and out to glass the fields at the property I have access to, thanks to my girlfriend! I figure by late morning, we'll move in and start scouting, selecting stand sites, cutting shooting lanes etc. I want to hang 4 or 5 cameras around the properties and let them soak for a month or so. I may have to make another trip in August to pull cards/change batteries, change camera locations. I plan on hunting Nov 3 - 10, with the 11th being the return to NJ date. It's a lot of driving to a little bit of work, but hopefully, come November, it will all pay off. When you're going away for a weekend for something like this, it's never work. Who knows, if something insane shows up on camera, a September trip might just have to be scheduled.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like it. Sounds like a guy willing to put in some effort for his chance at a reward. I hope your hard work and time committed pay off for you!

runhunter

Thanks hicks... my buddy and I already decided, after we go next weekend, we're going to give the cameras a good 2-3 weeks. I'll meet him at his house in PA on a Friday night in early August, we'll leave for OH at 4am, get there around noon, change cards/batteries if needed, and head back home. Gas money well spent

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks hicks... my buddy and I already decided, after we go next weekend, we're going to give the cameras a good 2-3 weeks. I'll meet him at his house in PA on a Friday night in early August, we'll leave for OH at 4am, get there around noon, change cards/batteries if needed, and head back home. Gas money well spent

........if you get some nice bucks on cam or at least some helpful info as to what's going on at the property. Just know that the deer movement hasn't been the best for most of us and cam location will be crucial. Place cam at least near water(flowing preferably) and in front of minerals,salt block or apples. I'd hate to see you guys drive that distance to find only a few deer on your cams. Goodluck

runhunter

thanks FS.. maybe great minds think alike. I will be bringing a few 33 lb molasses blocks and 6 cameras. From my trip out there in April, I have a few spots already picked out, and some of those are at/near the pondsand creeks on the property. Besides that, we've used the giant aerial map I ordered to try and locate funnels and likely transition areas. The properties are made up of ridges, creeks, ponds, crops, hardwoods, and grassy hillsides, so there's a bit of everything. We'll spread the cameras out where we find the most sign and hopefully the molasses blocks will help stop them for a few seconds to smile and say cheese. It's been hot here in NJ also, so it's been tough as well. Appreciate the info.. good lookin out

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Many sites will shun out of state hunters. I don't think you are going to find that here. You secured your property. You are doing your homework. You are putting in the effort. I am rooting for you bud. Hope it works out for you. I guess I will rethink my stereotype of NJ. You are not the typical NJ a-hole. Lmao

Please tell me the bunch of idiots from the Jersey Shores cast are not what everyone from NJ is like. That has to be the worst publicity for your state possible. Talk about misleading the world into forming an opinion of Jersey. geeesh

runhunter

haha, I will be honest, people from NJ don't even like that show. I'm from the southern part of the state, right outside Philadelphia. Most of that stereotype comes from the Northern part of the state, closer to NY. It's like anything else, it's true in some cases, but far from it many others. Not much I can do, we're not all bad seeds.
I have noticed that this site seems to welcome out of staters and a lot of guys are here to offer advice and that's why I joined. I plan on contributing and taking advice from the guys who know the state better than I do. I like doing research, I enjoy the leg work, and regardless of how many I kill, how big they are, how much I know, there will ALWAYS someone who knows more, killed more, been to more places etc. That's why I shut up and listen.
It's going to be crazy for me to hunt farmland and deer that aren't pressured like they are in NJ. I know they get pushed in OH, don't get me wrong, but public land in NJ is mostly big woods, next to no ag fields, and identifiable bedding areas/food sources are tough to identify. Everything looks the same. A 2 1/2 year old deer here, if he's 80" or so.. basket 8 is normal. OH.. well whole different ball game. That's why I want to do the work. If I can do it in NJ and be consistently successful on smaller bucks, how will it translate?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't get me wrong, I don't think everyone on this site "wants" a huge influx of out of state hunters. I think many just realize it is going to happen to some degree. I think the reason you find this site welcoming and helpful is because your approach is different. You get a lot more respect and assistance when doing the legwork you are putting in versus showing up, logging in, and saying "I am hunting Ohio this year. Where can I kill a booner?" lol

Good to know not everyone in Jersey is the way some of the TV shows portray them. Good luck this year.

runhunter

Cool. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm used to working my ass off for basket racks. When I'm given the opportunity to hunt prime time land where the giants roam, I refuse to show up and hope to get lucky. Just how I'm made. Any state that shows it can produce deer like Ohio is gonna have out of starters? Especially when it's as close as it is.