Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

CDL's

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'm looking to get my CDL's here asap. Do any of you guys have them or know someone who does? I'd love some tips on how/what to study.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe Tuffshot will chime in. However, he is on the road all the time nowadays. I got my temps but never took the driving test. Stupid on my part. Honestly? Grab the book. Read it. Lots of it was common sense to me but I have been around trucks in the National Guard, Fire Department, and thru work a lot. You are half my age, so I would imagine some of the stuff I picked up over the years might not be stuff you have seen. Then again, I don't know how much you have been around trucks and such. You could easily know more about it than me.

What I found which helped me most was the details. Things such as tread depth and details on numbers, etc. You might know the answer but they may have several choices very close. Ex. Say you have tread depth choices and one is 5/32 and the other is 7/32. Not much difference, but if you read it the week or night before, there is one question you get right instead of missing.

It seemed like there were a ton of questions that were right in the book. It is an easy read and if you have decent reading retention skills you will be fine. My reading retention isn't the best, but I passed.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Well shoot, if Phil passed anyone can lol. Just kidding ya man. I started studying the book last night and memorized some stuff, but i know i have alot more work to do. And at work a few guys said the same thing, everyone gets the common knowledge stuff, but its the small things that can make you fail.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It isn't that bad. You are right. I am no rocket scientist and I passed. Memorize the detail answers and you will be fine.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I've driven semi's my whole career just don't have a CDL.... As long as you're on miltary orders it's not needed, but I don't think I'd do it after I retire out of the Military..... Good luck study hard and make sure you understand the air brake systems....

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
I have my CDL for my day job. The hardest part is the pretest inspection. You looking to get class A or B? The hazmat written test has a lot more to study I don't need mine yet and hope I never will. If you know somebody that has a truck that will let you practice that will help a lot with the pretest and the driving test. If you have any questions and if I know the answer just ask I will be more than willing to help.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have a class B. Study the book part and then I recommend finding someone to help you with locating all the items for the pre trip inspection. The pre trip inspection is timed and you need to locate a certain percentage of the items. The driving part isn't all that bad, just make sure you check in the mirrors a lot more than you think you would need to and you should do fine.

I will dig up some information that I used when I took mine and see if there is anything that might help you.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've had mine for almost 20 years, but honestly don't know what to tell you here. I taught two friends how to drive trucks, and helped them with the pre-trip material so they could get their license. Since I no longer have a truck sitting around, I am of no use to you. Find someone with a truck that is willing to help, or go to a driving school. I think those are about the only options. I have every endorsement available on my CDL. I'd suggest you do the same as the testing is no more difficult for the additional endorsements, just a simple written test. You can get a study book from any BMV. All the information is in there.

Shoulder Blade

Proper nomenclature, my buddy had to take another day off to re-test because he called the fuel cap a gas cap. The truck was diesel, not gas so the guy failed him.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'm looking to get my class a's. For my work you have to have your class a's to drive the couple's I think they call it. It's a beer semi bascially. I got my book the other day, and my boss just informed me that if I get my permit that I can start driving the drivers on their routes, and help them deliver..so that will work out nicely!

And thats a bad deal Shoulder blade lol

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I have had mine for years. The driving test was pretty easy, but some of the written was tough depending on what endorsements you want. Definitely read the book pretty close.

Shoulder Blade

I'm looking to get my class a's. For my work you have to have your class a's to drive the couple's I think they call it. It's a beer semi bascially. I got my book the other day, and my boss just informed me that if I get my permit that I can start driving the drivers on their routes, and help them deliver..so that will work out nicely!

And thats a bad deal Shoulder blade lol

It may not been his only mess up on the pretrip, I don't remember. He was pissed I do remember that.