Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A Must-Read for Any Serious Bowhunter

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dr. Ed Ashby... The Penetration Enhancing Factors, Part 8 - 2007

http://tuffhead.com/ashby_pdfs/ashby ours/2007 Update, Part 8.pdf

A couple interesting exerpts...

Three times I've seen arrows stopped on nearly broadside
shots by the entrance-side ribs of modest size pigs – with two
of those bouncing back. All three of those shots were with
high-poundage bows (the lightest-draw being a 65# compound),
but with poorly selected arrow setups. One PH I was co-guiding
with, Ben Bronkhorst, also had a client's arrow bounce back
from a warthog's rib. The arrow swapped ends and passed between himself and the client. That was on a shot from 15 feet. The very light weight carbon arrow, from a 70# compound, tipped with a light-weight multi-blade broadhead hit only a rib on entrance. Total penetration, measured against the blood and tissue on the broadhead was a mere 22 millimeters (0.87").

It is never wise to hunt with a setup which
requires a near-perfect hit in order to be reliably lethal, yet many seem to consider such a setup as representing 'adequate'; which they generally qualify by adding, "as long as you do your part and put it in the right place." To be adequate your setup should be capable of killing cleanly and humanely on as many of the hits likely to occur as possible; not just on near perfect hits.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It's fortunate for us all the good Dr. makes and sells the best penetrating broadhead in the world, just ask him. On another note, one of the guys I hunted with in WI a few years back did use the good Dr's broadhead to kill a bull elephant, so maybe there is something to it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So basically, get the right arrow for you setup is what I read. Plus, Lincoln Log arrows aren't all bad. lol

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Hogs have a serious side plate to them for protection. I saw one show that thing has a side plate on him that was almost like steel. It was...pig man I think. This pig was 500 lbs. I couldnt imagine any arrow going in on a lung shot on that hog.