Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

They're flyin'!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Saw my first birds of the summer in flight yesterday morning...Had 4 Canadas flying over the house last night....this flock was leaving a golf course this morning and landed in the cut wheat field right across the road.

Geese.jpg

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Gotta love seein' that!! I was watching mallards fly the tree line this morning. They're golf course & business complex birds, but still love watching them cruise by. Gets the blood flowin'

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Gotta love seein' that!! I was watching mallards fly the tree line this morning. They're golf course & business complex birds, but still love watching them cruise by. Gets the blood flowin'

Sure does...It was great to see ducks in their usual loafing spots along the river TOO!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The amount of resident geese we have right now is incredible. It never got cold enough to push them out of here, so our early season hunting should be awesome.

Kaiser878

ohio
THe biggest plus is the dry spring and summer we had. Which is very good for nesting birds. THe success rate for hatching eggs was great this year... Now how many survived after hatching is another story. Although, I have seen lots of big fuzzy birds....So I know a lot made it

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've been seeing piles of ducks and geese in the cut wheat fields lately. It's too bad these will probably all be green by the time September 1st rolls around... :smiley_depressive:

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
knowing very little about farming, and not paying that close of attention to the cut wheat fields, I always wondered what they do with them after they get the hay off the field...seems they have just been sitting there for months now...

from the golf course to the cut wheat field is where the birds in my pic fly to day in and day out...would love to have permission to hunt there at least a few days for early goose...I could get my 4 birds and then go across the street and make an 8am tee time!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm trying to locate some fields right now for early season. I have never done much early season waterfowling, so I'd like to change that this fall!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a feeling we're going to see a buttload more sileage fields this fall. With the early drying and lackluster corn crop... it seems inevitable. I don't mind, though... Doves and geese LOVE sileage fields.