Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 broadhead selections

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Gonna keep shooting Magnus Stingers this season. I didn't get a chance to spill blood with one last year so I can't switch just yet! lol

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i will prolly be shooting 3 or 4 different ones..stingers, German kinetics, helix and solids

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Im going to be switching to slick tricks..... tried my first mechanical last year (rage) and wasnt overly impressed. They flew great but I was soo concerned with the blades opening during flight and I was always nocking a blade loose walking in so I had to fix them once I got to the stand. Just dont want to mess with mechanicals anymore all together, I want whatever im shooting to be my true cut without what ifs.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
going to try rage,nap blood runner, and maybe something like g5s.

I was not overly impressed with slick tricks, I think they fly great, but the hole they put in the deer is really really small, that being said the deer did all die within 50 yards, but still got me nervous when I didnt see any blood.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
going to try rage,nap blood runner, and maybe something like g5s.

I was not overly impressed with slick tricks, I think they fly great, but the hole they put in the deer is really really small, that being said the deer did all die within 50 yards, but still got me nervous when I didnt see any blood.

Did you shoot the deer with a new head or one that head been shot before?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
New head Jack, I hit her double lungs about 1ich and a half behind the shoulder, but I hit her mid body level instead of lower chest cavity like I wanted too. She died fast, but with the small hole it did not give her enough room to bleed out of so her chest just filled with blood. I let her lay and found her the next morning.

I hit a doe the second day of the season and never found her she showed up on my trail camera a few months later with an exit wound that seems like it should have killed her, Ill try to find the picture.

Im sure they are great broadheads, just for my own use im going to try a few new ones this year. I still like spitfires from several years ago!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
PICT0586.jpg

at1010

*Supporting Member*
If you click on her, you can see where the head came out, it was a bit far back, but that was the exit side I shot her on the other side. I searched for this deer for several hours. Watched for buzzards and nothing ever showed up she showed up on camera a few months later and seems to be doing fine.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not sure you can blame that on the broadhead. Any broadhead that hits high above the mid-line is liable to not leave a blood trail as it need more internal bleeding to fill up the chest cavity in order for it to begin spilling out. I had the same results from the "slit" left by the Rage on several occasions. I'll take a hole over a slit any day. As for the doe that didn't die, I'm not picking on you at all because Lord knows I've made my mistakes, but I wouldn't put that all on the broadhead either. That is a classic "dead zone" hit IMO. A little high/back, enough to cause some harm, but not enough to kill them. I made the exact same shot on a P&Y 8 my second bow season. I was for sure he was dead after I watched the Thunderhead 125 tipped Easton disappear in the "boiler room". Ended up being a high, single lung hit and he survived. There are no doubts in my mind if you deliver a Slick Trick, or any other broadhead, to the 10-ring, it will kill a deer. But they are tough animals and even some marginal hits will leave you scratching your head...

I'll also be shooting Slick Trick Magnums again this year. I love the "slug hole" they leave and you can't beat the flight!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Yea Jesse I agree with you on that and thats why I do like slick tricks and might even go back to them, but I am just wanting to try a few others this year.

I am really anxious to wax a doe with the blood runners. They fly great, spin great, and the cutting on them is something else. I only worry about how they will hold up to bone.

I recently read a blog on a guy who shoots muzzys, he puts them through does shoulders consistantly, and has not lost a doe in years. He lives in Iowa and needs to kill a lot of does a year to try and keep is ration correct. He has pictures to show, that has made me also think about shooting more fixed blades, maybe even thunderheads.

Basically I dont know what I wanna do except hunt hard and fill the freezer! haha

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Going to go with my 100gr Slick Tricks again this year. After seeing what they can do to bone and how little it messed the BH up. I was impressed to say the least.

I don't doubt they will get the job done and if a little bone gets in the way I won't worry to much about the BH holding together and finishing what it started.