Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

arrow length

not sure if there was a thread about this, but does having your arrows cut to fit increase speed and accuracy over using an arrow that is normal length i think 31? i talked to a few people and they said having them cut will make my accuracy and grouping alot better and add a lil speed with it without having to increase draw length and poundage. any inputs

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Cutting the arrow will make it lighter overall, so it will increase your speed. However, it's a bit more complex than that. Shortening the arrow will also increase the spine of the arrow. Whether this will improve or hurt your accuracy/groups depends on what you're shooting and how your bow is set up. Post up your bow specs and let's see what you're working with. Bow mfg, year, model, draw weight, draw length, point weight, type of fletching. Also, what are the arrows you're currently shooting... Mfg, model, and spine rating. The spine rating should be on the label somewhere... Usually it's 300, 340, 400, 5575, or something like that.

alright, i figured speed, wasnt sure about accuracy, as for bow its a 03 hoyt magnatec, 28in draw, 65lbs, 100gr point, quick fletches.......arrows for now are the carbon express predatorII spine rating is 350 6070 is on there as well.. but will be switching to either the maxima or piledrivers from carbon express, same spine rating i believe

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I will put this into my program and see what is spits out. probably around lunch time

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Your going to want a 30 inch arrows to get in the proper spine range. your sort of in between on your setup.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
what do you mean in between ?

Think of spine as the "stiffness" of the arrow. At 31", you're just a bit underspined... or too weak (flimsy). If you cut it all the way down to 29", for your setup, you end up with an arrow that's a bit overspined... or too stiff. Cutting the arrow shaft at 30" will yield optimal spine for your setup... according to the software anyway.

As far as speed and accuracy goes... Theoretically, accuracy and groups should improve a bit because your "new" arrow spine will be better matched for your particular bow. You'll gain a little bit of speed, but not enough to be noticeable. At 31", you're in the ballpark of 243 fps and 58.55 lbs KE. At 30", you'll be in the ballpark of 246 fps and 58.77 lbs KE.

ah ok, so basically it wont be under or over spined at 30in, and speed i didnt figure would be real noticeable as compared to longer draw length and more poundage,,, as for accuracy i hope it imporves more.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
yeah what JB said. thats the length that fits your setup the best.we can shorten it some but not much to stay in the good range.

Kaiser878

ohio
Or you could just buy different arrows that are spined correctly and then you wont have a mile of over hang on your arrow in front of your rest. Also this will lighten your arrow increasing your speed. Im not a face of shooting a bunch of over hang on my arrows. At most I shoot 3/4 of an inch of arrow past my rest on my hutning set up!

Where are you at in millersburg??? I am in millersburg rt now, I work at the hospital....If you still need new laces for your bow get ahold of me!

Last edited: