Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Antler characteristics

buckstar25

T-county
This past few seasons has raised a few questions about antler growth. I have read some studies, have studied and continue to be a student. There is one particular deer that has brought this question to mind. He is now at least 4.5 and has carried the same antlers year after year. He almost died last year but someone took the hair off of his neck. He was and has been a regular for 5 years. Nobody in our camp has laid eyes on this buck except for trail cam pictures. He shows up every year, and every year he looks exactly as he did the year before.

With all of the known factors that contribute to antler growth taken into consideration i am wandering what and why he remains constant. Never increasing in mass or tine length, and always missing a browtine.

This year has really got me thinking from a management standpoint. So far we have 3 bucks, all sporting 5 scoreable tines, and all missing the same browtine. I am wandering if a downward trend is occurring in the overall genetics of the deer on our ridge? And it is not a small area (total of just under 1000 acres). Last gun season I killed a deer on opening day that we nicknamed Butter Bean, unintentionally killed him in the sense that he showed up at first light and the spikes were not noticed. Now, when I get down to him and age him, I aged him at 3.5 years! This year, guess what we have?? 2 that are almost exact matches to Bean....

So what's next, I want to watch and see what happens with the 3 5pts. Just to see if the follow the same growth as the 7 pt. What thoughts do you guys have on this?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like a classic example of poor genetics to me. There's really 3 main factors when it comes to antler growth/characteristics... Age, Nutrition, and Genetics. He's got the age, and I'm sure he eats just fine... Genetics is about all that's left. Might wanna whack him if you get the chance. However, just because he's old doesn't mean he's going to breed all of the does. Studies have shown that "immature" bucks breed just as many, if not more, does than do mature bucks.

A spike at 3.5 yrs old is ridiculously terrible. Are you absolutely sure it was a 3.5 yr old? What led you to this conclusion? Antlers are not usually a good indicator of deer age, but I've never seen a 3.5 yr old, or a 2.5 yr old for that matter, in Ohio that only had spikes. Either he was younger than 3.5 or that deer herd has some of the worst genetics around.

buckstar25

T-county
I am 95.7% (just dickin off with that %)certain that Bean was 3.5 years old. I have a little bit of background in wildlife management and I had to check this buck twice to make sure, I aged him by teeth.

We had 2 previous seasons I fun encounters with him, countless pictures, and he literally though he was king of the jungle on one section of our property. He did fly bys at my buddies blind constantly.

Last edited:

buckstar25

T-county
We get out fair share of big deer but I am noticing a trend and am not really sure where to start. Is that the answer? Take the spikes and missing brow bucks out? Nutrition is there as far as food, soil composition on the other hand am not sure about.

buckstar25

T-county
I will put together a few of this years pics to give you an idea of what we have.

I know that as much as 60% I the genetics can come from the doe, so how can that be determined? We have a 6.5 yr old doe that threw triplets this year, another mature doe with twins and a single. Studies also show triplets can also have 3 different fathers. That is what is kind of got us thinking, since we know most of the breeding is done by the younger bucks, are we just wasting time by not taking the spikes out??? Does anyone have any thoughts in the missing brow bucks? I can't seem to find anything on brow tine growth, like can they have both one year and only one the next? I wouldn't think so but....

Last edited:

buckstar25

T-county
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341967777.266046.jpg

At 3.5 last year

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341967841.579757.jpg
First pics we got of him

Bean...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341967897.081214.jpg

dunno bout this one....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341967950.567000.jpg

this year...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341968005.102148.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341968034.455152.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341968055.051308.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1341968079.697265.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Couple things...

1) I'm not 100% convinced those first two pics are the same deer, and I'm not seeing him as a 3.5 yr old in the first pic. Maybe it's just the angle, but I'm not seeing it.
2) Bean definitely looks like an old inbred sumbitch. What a strange thing!
3) I think it's probably a lost cause trying to manage and manipulate the genetics on this farm. 1000 acres seems big but I doubt it contains the entire home ranges of these bucks. And you don't have a fence around it, so that limits your efforts even further.

My suggestion... Don't worry about the scrubby fuggers and just get out there and hunt like usual. If you get caught up in trying to pull off selective harvests you're probably not going to enjoy hunting like you should. There are a lot of unknowns out there, and a lot of factors you just can't control, so just do what you're used to doing. I would still keep records of all these bucks, though... It would be nice to revisit this thread in a few years and compare your observations.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
This buck is at least 8 years old now. The bad pic ( the only one I could find) is him at 6. As you can see he's gone down hill... I named him "Hicks"...lol... I've been hoping he would get killed for the past 3 or 4 years and he's still around. I don't know why nobody will do it...

Attachments

• 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 361.jpg
    361.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

buckstar25

T-county
I cant find the other pics from 2009, but it may just be that angle on the 3.5 year old.

And yeah, old Butter! We are gonna miss that sum bitch! He really was fun to watch, he could be seen all hours of the day within the same 300 yard section. I killed him on opening day of gun season 1 minute after legal shooting time in that nasty ass rain.

At any rate, I see what you are saying about the management aspect. It just seems that the more the years pass the more of these single brow bucks we see. I don't get too caught up in worrying about taking bucks that are "inferior" I just wanted to see what some of you all thought about it.

My property is only 52 acres so my approach is a little different. I hunt the 1000 acres and see my share of good deer, I am interested in seeing what happens though. I can assure you come Nov. at least a couple of the 5 pts will be gone, hopefully make a young one a nice first deer.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This buck is at least 8 years old now. The bad pic ( the only one I could find) is him at 6. As you can see he's gone down hill... I named him "Hicks"...lol... I've been hoping he would get killed for the past 3 or 4 years and he's still around. I don't know why nobody will do it...

You nicknamed him Hicks and keep hoping he gets killed? What the crap is that? lmao

Buckstar- Nothing educated to share with you, but it is an interesting (and disturbing) observation. I am curious to see how it goes in the next few years as well. Hopefully just a strange occurrence which disappears, but maybe the start of a bad trend. Hard saying. I know I have read about studies where properties culled and compared to properties which did not cull. Both properties were very similar and over a couple decades there was minimal if any difference in quality. Wish I remembered where i read the article. I believe it was in TX and I think I read it in D&DH.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

You nicknamed him Hicks and keep hoping he gets killed? What the crap is that? lmao

lmao lmao lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hicks?!? Rotflmao Yeah, he's on his way down JD! J/k Phil. Lol
I'd be tickled pink to kill an 8 year old warrior like him, he must be hard to get within kill range for the average hunter.

As for Buckstar25's ordeal, I agree with JB. You definitely have a cluster**** where you hunt but it maybe too far gone as for as management goes. Just keep the does in check and hunt for mature bucks and enjoy yourself. If you know some youth hunters or other hunters wanting to fill their freezer set them up to wack some of them cull bucks. I do agree the doe has more to do with the genetics their offspring has but if those cull bucks are doing alot of breeding your gonna get this. Sounds to me the buck doe ratio is waaaaaay out of wack. Didn't you post a pic of 28 does and yearlings together in a field? That promotes inbreeding which IMO could be what's going on. I'm not a wildlife biologist so this is strictly MO. Goodluck

buckstar25

T-county
FS, that pic was on a field by my house. I dont hunt that property I just took the picture with my phone for the hell of it. Our Buck to doe ratio is out of whack but it is opposite of what you would think. We had almost 5 to 1 bucks to does last year, now that is just on our cams, but 11 does were killed off of the big hollow during bow season last year......

buckstar25

T-county
That the part that gets me, some people enjoy hunting on different levels. Just because I hunt doesn't mean I have to kill every animal that walks in. I passed on doe after doe during my bow vacation.

I realize that that ratio was just at our camera locations but it's the only real indicator I have to use. I am just worried that the high kill numbers in our valley are contributing in some way to the trend we are seein......

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Couple things...

1) I'm not 100% convinced those first two pics are the same deer, and I'm not seeing him as a 3.5 yr old in the first pic. Maybe it's just the angle, but I'm not seeing it.
2) Bean definitely looks like an old inbred sumbitch. What a strange thing!
3) I think it's probably a lost cause trying to manage and manipulate the genetics on this farm. 1000 acres seems big but I doubt it contains the entire home ranges of these bucks. And you don't have a fence around it, so that limits your efforts even further.

My suggestion... Don't worry about the scrubby fuggers and just get out there and hunt like usual. If you get caught up in trying to pull off selective harvests you're probably not going to enjoy hunting like you should. There are a lot of unknowns out there, and a lot of factors you just can't control, so just do what you're used to doing. I would still keep records of all these bucks, though... It would be nice to revisit this thread in a few years and compare your observations.

I concur with JB on all of the above. If it were me, I'd just hunt for the big ones you know are there and leave the rest to nature. Or, if you know of a youth or new hunter that would be happy to shoot any old deer, have them kill one of the problem deer...