Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

HELP!!!!! Talk some sense into me!!!!!!!!!

Kaiser878

ohio
I am teetering on the edge!!!!!!!!! Im about to make a purchase I probably shouldnt.....

Somebody talk me about of this!!!!!!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Too big. More boat than you probably need.
Too pretty.
Insurance.
Gotta have something big enough to pull it.
Gotta store it.
Gotta maintain it.
Will not actually use it as much as you think you will.
Can't put a deer stand on it.
Not the kind of boat that'll get you laid.

Kaiser878

ohio
1. only 20 foot.....Perfect for fishing tournaments
2. you got me on this one
3. 20 dollars a month.....no big deal
4. 5.4 triton....its a ford baby
5. got a 40x60 garage
6. been there done that......no different than maintainnig a car
7. is 2-3 tiems a week not enoguh use?
8. could put a deer stand on it.....to haul to a remote part fo a lake to hunt. ;D
9. Dont need a boat to pull tail!!!!

Kaiser878

ohio
Your not a fisherman.:smiley_arrogant:

Do you plan on shooting carp with your bow?

I fish 3-4 times a week. I have been fishnig about 1 tournament a week also. I just want my own boat....... thats all!

Im partial to the decks on the pro crafts and the skeeters....... I came across this pro craft and I have been strugglnig since!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
What reason would there not be for buying it then.....a bachelor with no dependents.....uhhhh yeah, I think you should buy it.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
Check the engine real close for leaky gaskets and how it idles this ethanol gas is eating outboards up,I put over $800 in my outboard last year,and how good are the electronics are they up too date,the biggest thing is you gotta use it

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Usage: April - Sept = 6 months.
Insurance: 20 a month 240 a year.
Purchase price none listed est 15k
Maintenance + registration 800 a year.

Typical Ownership 5 years.

6 month usage x 3x a week. = 72 times a year. x 5 years - 360 uses during ownership.

$800 maint & reg x 5 year= $4,000
Purchase Price 15k
Insurance 240 per year x 5 = $1,200

Total 5 year TCO $20,200

6mo usage per year x 5 years = 30 mo.

$673 Total Cost Of Ownership per usable month. Just in the boat. + fuel + towing Fuel + baits + snacks + everything else.

56 bucks TCO per trip just in the boat.... And that's IF you use it 12 times a month like you say. Ask anyone that has ever bought a boat, you will not use it nearly as much as you think. Realistically it's Once a week, at that rate you're TCO is 168 bucks per trip just for the boat not counting fuel, towing fuel, etc.

673 a month for 6 months is 4,038.. DOn't know about you but I could find way better things to do with almost 700 bucks a month disposable income per summer month.. That's a new top of the line bow every month for 6 months. That's a private 250 acre lease for the whole year. That's 3 double bull blinds a month for 6 months.

And if you're financing this.. We haven't even added in amortized interest yet.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What year is it? What motor's on it? Envirude? What trolling motor and how big is it? 24 or 36v? I've got a triton that would blow your doors off with that thing :smiley_clap: I had a 95 180 Dual Pro Procraft, loved it and was a great platform too fish out of, just didn't have it long that's all.... I'd say have a compression test on all cyliders with a leakdown test as well, if the fuel lines are origanal have them replaced (part of the purchase deal) Procrafts had a dual tanl with a valve to switch back and forth in between them. If this one has one have it replaced with the fuel hoses that will prevent any future ethanol issues. Use a good two stroke (since you race bikes you already know that) I run amsoil 2 stroke in mine lot less smoke and cleaner running. If the water pump hasn't been changed have them do that as well and do the whole kit not just the impellar.....

Nice looking boat if you can swing the payment and they do what I said too do then jump on it and have a ball, mine does 75 mph your's is probably a 65-68 mph machine if set up right.... Loads of fun in between fisshing spots lol.... Any questions feel free too ask if I don't know I know a source who does lol....

PS..... Tell them too take out those sissy seats and put in petalstool style seats rotflmao :smiley_coolpeace:

Last edited:

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Screw these guys! BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

buckstar25

T-county
But a 700.00 flat bottom with a 9.9 on it. Ask Fletcher, he has been beat more than once by that set-up, and he is runnin around in a 90,000 Ranger!

An old guy once told me "The only thing that expensive gun does is make you look good when you miss....". Same holds true with the big boats, yeah you get there faster but if you can't fill your bag......

All kiddin aside man, I bought a boat 3 years ago. I seriously have used it maybe 10 times in 3 years. My situation is a little different, I have 3 kids so my time is limited, responsibilies change, I'm old and all grown up!

You have more free time and wanna spend it fishing tourneys or enjoying yourself? It's your money man, enjoy it and have fun with it!! You work for your money, you make an honest living, so if you wanna buy a boat, buy a boat!

Jack, nice number crunching! Made my stomach twist just seein the dollars addin up!! Definitely a good piece I info to take into consideration....

Kaiser878

ohio
Thanks for all the info guys! Affording it by itself isnt the issue! Its the fact that Im in the process of buying a house also... But This thing is mint! Its in maryland! Obviously I have not layed eyes on it personally. I have been shopping and came across this one....

It is a 2002
its got an evinrude 225 on it.
motor guide 24 volt
has a built-in 15-amp two-bank MotorGuide charger

Im very partial to the Pro Crafts though

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Usage: April - Sept = 6 months.
Insurance: 20 a month 240 a year.
Purchase price none listed est 15k
Maintenance + registration 800 a year.

Typical Ownership 5 years.

6 month usage x 3x a week. = 72 times a year. x 5 years - 360 uses during ownership.

$800 maint & reg x 5 year= $4,000
Purchase Price 15k
Insurance 240 per year x 5 = $1,200

Total 5 year TCO $20,200

6mo usage per year x 5 years = 30 mo.

$673 Total Cost Of Ownership per usable month. Just in the boat. + fuel + towing Fuel + baits + snacks + everything else.

56 bucks TCO per trip just in the boat.... And that's IF you use it 12 times a month like you say. Ask anyone that has ever bought a boat, you will not use it nearly as much as you think. Realistically it's Once a week, at that rate you're TCO is 168 bucks per trip just for the boat not counting fuel, towing fuel, etc.

673 a month for 6 months is 4,038.. DOn't know about you but I could find way better things to do with almost 700 bucks a month disposable income per summer month.. That's a new top of the line bow every month for 6 months. That's a private 250 acre lease for the whole year. That's 3 double bull blinds a month for 6 months.

And if you're financing this.. We haven't even added in amortized interest yet.

Can't argue with these numbers they are pretty accurate, but buying a used boat someone else ate the major depreciation, and at the end of the 5 years if you take care of it you'll get half that money back..... I paid 15K for mine back in 02 and can get 9-10K this year if I wanted too sell it, but I'll keep it until I can't launch it anymore :smiley_clap:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I love to bass fish as much as anyone... have fished plenty of tourneys, too... I wouldn't buy it.

If you really want a boat, buy something that'll serve multiple purposes. Get yourself an Excel or War Eagle mod V and build a removable deck for the front of it. Wahlaahhh... bass tourney boat in the summer, kick-ass duck boat in the fall/winter. That boat you're looking at is just too pretty man. Get yourself a boat that you can beat up a little bit.

epe

Lancaster
I love to bass fish as much as anyone... have fished plenty of tourneys, too... I wouldn't buy it.

If you really want a boat, buy something that'll serve multiple purposes. Get yourself an Excel or War Eagle mod V and build a removable deck for the front of it. Wahlaahhh... bass tourney boat in the summer, kick-ass duck boat in the fall/winter. That boat you're looking at is just too pretty man. Get yourself a boat that you can beat up a little bit.
War eagle... yummy...