Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Back tension release--opinions??

Derek j

Knox Co.
So my strap release has seen better days, and I dont think the velcro is gonna hold up till next year, so I am looking at going to a back tension release. What are your opinions on brand, style, etc?? I have used Scott and tru ball releases, with the tru-ball being my current. Also, if anyone has one they would like to sell, I may be willing to purchase it to see if I want this style of release or if I should stick to the wrist release style. Thanks!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Do you have issues with flinching or punching the trigger...target panic? If the answer is no, you don't need a back tension release. If you do, you may rather work through the issue than go to back tension. They are difficult to master in hunting scenerios for most people. Dwight Schuh, however, is one notable bowhunter that has gone to BT for hunting. He claims he would rather miss an opportunity than to punch and make a bad shot. Sound reasoning if you have target panic!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I went from a wrist strap to a TRU-Ball Pro Diamond Extreme and really liked it. I was shooting a TRU-Ball BT Gold 3-finger for target and the Pro Diamond to hunt. I sold both and bought a Stan Islowski Shootoff Quattro in Large and don't see me ever owning another release. The Stans are awesome releases and one you need not feel bad about spending the money on. Simply an awesome release!

Derek j

Knox Co.
no issues with flinching or punching. I just hate having something around my wrist and trying to get my coat sleeve over the release, glove issues, etc. I have always wanted to try the BT releases, but have never pulled the trigger on one. I figured now is as good of time as any.

no issues with flinching or punching. I just hate having something around my wrist and trying to get my coat sleeve over the release, glove issues, etc. I have always wanted to try the BT releases, but have never pulled the trigger on one. I figured now is as good of time as any.

If thats the case you dont need a bt, just get a handheld thumb release. Look at releases like the tru-ball pro diamond extreme or stan shoot off quattro, ect they have thumb triggers. BT releases dont have triggers. Once enough tenision is applied to a BT release the jaws on the release automatically open. Basically you just keep drawing the bow until if fires. BT releases are best suited for target archery and as a training aid for people with target panick. 1. no trigger to jerk on a BT 2. you wont be able to anticipate the shot. Since there isn't a trigger on BT releases they are not as easy to bowhunt with. Hope we cleared up the differance between BT and handheld thumb releases.

There is a learning curve that goes with shooting a BT so if you arn't into target archery and dont have target panick. I wouldn't spend the coin on a bt if all your going to do is hunt and maybe shoot 3d. but if you want to bust yourself in the nose a few time learning how to use BT Im not going to stop you. I just wanted to make sure you knew there was a differance between handheld thumb releases and BT's. A lot of people think that if its not a wrist strap release it must be a BT.

Once to decide to get a new release try shooting as many different models of handheld releases you can. A good handheld release is going to cost you more than a wrist release. So do yourself a favor and find best one that suits you and your price range.

Last edited: