Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fish chasing stringer with fish... What were they?

I was trolling in my kayak on Findlay Res. #2 and had caught a perch that was 11" long. I put him on a stringer, in hopes that I'd catch more and have some to eat.

As I was trolling along, in about 18' of water, the stringer fish jerked the kayak. Not all that uncommon for a fish to fight the stringer, but as I looked back at the perch...there were 3 fish chasing it or checking it out. They looked like walleye or muskie or pike...long slender and each fish looked to be about 20" to 24" long.

When I looked back I had stopped paddling for the moment and watched the chasing fish. As soon as my progress slacked, they bailed out and went else wherre.

Anyone have an idea as to what type of fish this might have been?

Your opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Was there a chunk missing from your perch? Like the other fish had teeth? My first guess is muskie. I've had them chase crappie as I was reeling in. They have teeth and when I get the crappie landed it has a bite out of it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There are only a few species of fish around Ohio that are long and slender... Pike, Muskie, Walleye, Bowfin. I doubt there are any bowfin in Findlay Res. I've never heard of anyone catching muskie in there, or pike either. Go to this page... http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/19516/Default.aspx There's no record of any pike or muskies coming out of there during surveys. I would put my money on them being walleye. Reservoir walleye do some strange things... they seem to "act" a bit differently than your average lake erie walleye.