Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cutting Blinds

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm winding down on my honey-do's, trying to make myself free and clear with a couple of months before deer season starts. Wifey wanted new blinds in the upstairs windows, and the 27" blinds she bought were about an 1/8" too wide to fit inside the openings. Took 'em back to Lowes to see if they could cut them down. Salesperson told me they couldn't do it because they could only cut down the Levelor brand (the expensive ones, and the people who provide the cutting machine they use). But then she said it wasn't really anything special, just a big saw. So I thought "OK, I'll just take 'em home and do 'em myself". So I goes home, take one out of the box, square it up, and wrap it with shrink wrap film. Then I wrapped the end with that blue painters masking tape on the end I'd be cutting to keep the little scraps from flying around as they were cut. (Note: use the kind of masking tape that comes off easy, so that you don't leave any tape residue on the blinds.) Make sure you take the end caps off the top and bottom, don't cut thru them. And make sure you take them into account when you're measuring how long to cut the blind.

If you don't have a roll of this stuff in your garage, get one. Really, really handy for wrapping stuff up.

Put the top extrusion (mine was aluminum) up against the fence on your saw to make sure your cut is square. Make sure you're wearing your safety glasses. Cut slowly, letting the blade do the work. I was cutting 64" blinds, and wasn't able to cut everything in one chop...no problem, just flipped it over and got the last 1/2". (Clean all of the drops off before flipping over, you don't wanna catch any loose parts while sawing.)

All done - 4 blinds ready to have the end caps replaced then installed.

As long as you wrap the blinds and cut slow, this project is easily done!

Last edited: