Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hauling water?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Our well is horrible, and with two new occupancies in our house, I will have to start hauling water just to keep from running the well dry.

Our well is pretty kickass.Step Gpa had it drilled in 1950-something.Ran the farm house till my uncle got his place in the late 70s, and tapped in...Then my oldman tapped in around 1983..
.I took my oldmans place an he lives in the G parents house since they past away.That old well is still going.....Well it has had a break for over week now(no electric):banghead:

I could use some rain
But I got rain several times (but non in the last 3 weeks )
Well is doing fine , drilled in 1966

I just had to change the pump last summer

Not cheap
Glad I put it back down on plastic instead of the galvinised
It was on before

John

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Luckely I have a major creek running thru most of my properties. Its alot lower than lower than usually but theres still water running through it so I havent had to haul rain. Food plots on the other hand are HURTIN!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We also have a major creek through our property, as well as a farm pond that is spring fed. I am moving a cam somewhere near the head of the draw that leads to our pond during next cam check. My other hunting property also has creek running through it, so those deer should be fine as well.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I also have a good size creek running through my hunting property so I won't have to worry about hauling water.

I did see a show the other day where a guy took a large 500 or 1k gallon plastic water tank on a trailer and hooked a hose to gravity feed a water trough. Was a pretty cool idea if ya already had the equipment. Not something you would want to just go blow money on to use for a single season.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have a pond in my woods, there isn't any other water in any direction for at least a quarter mile, probably closer to a half mile in some directions. The level is down a couple of feet so there is mud all the way around it. I just walked and didn't see a single deer track.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
There is a creek that runs thru two of my properties. Pretty shallow in places, but still has some water. There are lots of bends in the creek and some pockets that are deeper which still provide ample water. There is a pond on one property in addition to the creek. Neighbor has a pond by that property also.

Other property by my house has several farm ponds in the area. No creek, but does have a drainage ditch. Haven't been in there for awhile to see if the ditch has water, but I highly doubt it.

My personal property is void of water. Neighbors on either side of me have small ponds. I believe my neighbor to the north has a mud puddle. His pond is pretty well dry. Wish I had a well on that property. If I did I would dig a small "pond". Might be more like a garden pond size, but with a liner and a well I would make it happen. No well, so no water at my place. No other water sources close to my place.

I recently read the deer take in approximately 80% of their water thru the food they eat. Has anyone else read this or similar info?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I went to the farm last night and to my parents, water was hard to find both places. I'm sitting at the office watching it poor right now and hoping this same rain is hitting both places!!!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have a well with a 3 hp submersible and a 2" line going to my one pond. That pond is down 3 ft so I finally gave in and turned on the pump last night. It should raise the level 4"-5" every day .

epe

Lancaster
The one place I hunt is less than a half mile from the muskingum river, so I'm good ,unless that sucker runs dry...