Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Installing a dishwasher...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Our new dishwasher showed up today and with the heat coming tomorrow, I'd like to install it. I've never done one, but I imagine it's not rocket science. Any tips on removal of the old unit, installing, or things I need to buy. FWIW, it's at the end of the counter and I have access to the side of the unit TOO...

Buckmaster

Portage
Any tips on removal of the old unit, installing, or things I need to buy....

Let's see, its been some years since I got my first dish washer. It occurred on August 4, 2001. My wife celebrates that date every year as I always seem to forget. When I do remember it's typically called, "Black Tuesday" or what ever day of the week it falls upon.

Most recently I was thinking about getting a new, modern, and trendy dish washer. Perhaps one built around the year I graduated high school, maybe a 1989 model.

As for tips of removal, it might be easiest just to find a new one and move her on in before you kick the old one to the curb. You could call a couple single buddies that may be willing to take the old one off your hands or just send her to the street corner. After a day or so someone will come along and pick up the old one. Chances are you will never see her again.

As for installation tips, They are built for one thing so use it and abuse it. They make new ones everyday.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
At the top of the washer there are usually two tabs screwed in to the bottom of the counter.. Open the washer door and look up there. Remove those screws and grab the open door to drag the old one out being careful not to yank too hard on the flex tube.. If you don;t have the slack disconnect the flex tube from the plumbing under the sink.

Most dishwashers are hard wired. Meaning they don't plug in. Turn on the unit then go flip the breaker till it goes off.

Wire in the new one.. It's as easy as three screws behind and access panel. hook up the flex drain. Then the Hot and cold water connections.. Slide the new one back in.. make sure the feet are leveled if it has them. Screw in the tabs to the bottom of the counter. wala.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Its no big deal. You'll see when you drag the old one out.
Joe pretty well covered it.

dante- I found the 16 yr old systems like your's didn't last very long in my house... Very short and limited warranty. lol

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
You may have to purchase different fittings for the water line and possibly the drain line, but it's all real simple. Just remember to flip the breaker!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I went ahead and bought the lifetime steel line with multiple fittings. Figured for the $15, it was good peace of mind knowing my supply line is solid. It also came with a new drain line, so we're in business. Hope to swap it out tomorrow!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I jerked the old one out and had dishes in the new one within an hour and a half or so. Pretty simple deal really, even for a mild retard like me...