Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

feed and attractant decision

was wanting some opinions om feed and attractants. the place where i hunt is surrounded by cornfields, i thought of puttin out apples since obvioulsy they have plenty of corn, or would corn still be a good idea? also as for attractants, i usually use the wildgames innovations sugar beet crush and it seems to dissappear relatively quick, if i decide to use apples or corn should i switch to a corn or apple attractant or stick with what i usually use, i also thought of using a throw and grow plot but not sure if that would be to much to add to the area

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I make a couple of attractants that are highly concentrated and have unbelievable drawing power. Monster Raxx Whitetail Magnet and Apple Harvest are my favorites. You can spray on food plots, stumps or on pretty much anything. When I mix 1 eight ounce bottle with corn I get 10x the pics than if I used regular corn. Here is the link to the page.

http://www.monsterraxx.com/

matty636

mville
i got alot of corn around me to but i start puting a mixture of corn and sweetfeed out just when before the weather breaks as i believe it creates an easy source and they are not scavaging as much also i just started using monster raxx mineral and think im gona be a firm believer that is tops all other mineral products as i havr probably tripled my pictures

havent tried the monster raxx yet, i think the bow shop close to hear sells it tho and they talked it up pretty big, but on the land i hunt ive only seen one or 2 bucks in the past 2 years, lots of doe`s tho, i thought about gettin some corn or some apples and pouring some apple buck jam over it, always had good results with that to, actually seen chunks of dead logs and stuff come missing from them chewing on it

yea i noticed alot more apple products then corn or acorns, think thats what im gonna go with, make a big pile and any deer caught in will be considered tresspassing and shot on sight. everything around me has alot of the wildgame products as compared to other attractants, ive usually had good results with them guessing there starting to get a good name for themselves, buckjam works really well also

never would have guess pumpkins, pear i could see that cause of the sweet taste, never seen it coming to outbeat apples, have to try those, anyone ever use store bought apples? if so which works the best, i usually go to the house up the street and pick a bunch of the lil green apples, but if another kind gets better results ill fork out some cash for that

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Every Halloween I go around the neighborhood and request everyone's pumpkins.
They're kind of a pain to lug through the woods, but the deer hammer them. Just busy them open with your boot heel and watch your camera light up.

As far as different types of apples, I really can't answer that one.

We've had a similar discussion on here before though. I remember someone, I think Jackalope, saying persimmon outperforms all other fruits.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
Cotty I have a buddy that grows a pumpkin food plot every year. He says he breaks a couple open on his way to his stand and has to hurry into his stand before the deer come in.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Apples, corn, pumpkins, they will all bring the deer in! I used the Monster Raxx the past two weeks and the deer definitely come to it...

where can i get the monster raxx, is it in stores or only online....any tips for bringing bucks in they are like few and far between on this 400 acre property i hunt, very odd would figure there would be more but never see any usually just does

good point, i read the forum about plot timing and said something about last week of august is almost perfect for season opener which is what im looking for, cause like i said there is deer on the property but bucks are few and far between, and a few does so wanting something to draw more to the area

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
yea just checked it out, everyone on here seems to be pretty satisfied and content with it, might try to start a small throw and grow plot as weel unless its to late in the year for that

Like cotty said this isn't exactly the best time to plant something. But a lot of the "throw n grow" blends have quite a bit of brassicas in them, which can be planted as early as late July... just try to time it with a good rain. Otherwise, wait until about mid august to throw something down.

Millersburg is not far from Berlin.... Do yourself a favor and go see John over at Merit Seed Company. He's got some kick ass wildlife blends that rival any of the "big name" food plot companies.

yea this heat and no rain sucks, never been to that place and im in berlin alot, my buddy works for a deer ranch down here and he said to go to loudonville feed mill and get a bag of deer feed and just throw a good scoop out everyday and watch it work, but i was watching food plots on youtube and they had alot of excellent results, thing is i need a throw and grow one have no acces to equipment.