Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SpyPoint issue

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Guess I get to try the SpyPoint customer service :smiley_chinrub:

Checked cams today and found the cam I have been having issues with for a few months taking IR pics was dead. I thought I just needed to get fresh batteries so I grabbed the cam and left the case hanging. Got home and pulled the old batteries out and found the issue.

Seems the last 2 batteries overheated for some reason and stopped working on the 25th as that was the last day I had an actual pic taken. I only had a few pics on the 8GB card but the card was completely full and was only reading 780mb free on the card.

Here are the batteries that was in the slots that burned.

The battery that has the yellow line maxed out actually got heated enough to expand the top and push it up a little and that was also the battery that was in the last slot that is burned and the metal piece is broken. I'm not sure what the cause was because there was nothing in the case or in the cam housing it's self. Called but they was already closed for the day. Try and get them tomorrow and let you all know what I find out.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
They weren't put in backwards by accident were they? I think I remember hearing that Joe and Alex did that on accident with one cam and the batteries did the same thing as yours. Just a thought. Hopefully Spypoint helps you out man.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Not in backwards and only had the cards swaped for the last few months since my last battery change. Nothing changed other then swapping cards.

It started a few months ago where the cam would take black night pics with a wide range of like 3-10 black in a row and followed up with normal IR pics for 3-4 pics then back to black. I would also get where it would look like only a couple LED's would light up and put just enough light to see eyes and maybe an outline of a deer if it was close enough to the cam. Called SpyPoint and the guy said it was my batteries that I had just put in that was bad and causing the problem. I went out with another new batch of batteries and ran into the same problem. I just delt with it and then the update came out and I was hoping that would fix the problem. Took an SD card out with the update loaded on it and did the update. Seemed to work and didn't have the issue with the black night time IR pics for the last 3 weeks (actually now that I think about it I didn't get many night pics at all but I think most of that was do to the deer not moving past that cam much here lately). Went out today to check the cam and noticed when I turned it off and moved the switch to view and turned it back on that nothing happened. Just figured the batteries was dead. Pulled the cam out of the housing and brought it home to put new batteries in it and when I removed the cover to the batteries is when I noticed the problem.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If it there was no preexisting issue, I'd be inclined to think that was purely a heat issue with the weather we have had. If you get a cam taking a lot of sun right now, it is not going to be good on it and I don't trust the batteries to not crap out on me. However with it having issues to begin with, I'd not thinking that is it.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
hope it gets Ironed out buddy. so now I understand what you were saying in your text the other day about having problems with your cam. was this the cam on top of the hill? that one faces south into the sun with no shade. I wonder if the heat and no shade might have been a problem? were the bad batteries on the side that would have been getting the direct sun? that cam was kinda turned a little bit and the right side of the cam would have been getting direct sun from sunrise to sunset.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
hope it gets Ironed out buddy. so now I understand what you were saying in your text the other day about having problems with your cam. was this the cam on top of the hill? that one faces south into the sun with no shade. I wonder if the heat and no shade might have been a problem? were the bad batteries on the side that would have been getting the direct sun? that cam was kinda turned a little bit and the right side of the cam would have been getting direct sun from sunrise to sunset.

Was the one at the bottom of the hill in all day shade until I started having problems with it and moved the cam to the housing on top of the hill about 3 weeks ago. Even at the top of the hill it only gets sun early morning before 10am and then the tree canopy shades it the rest of the day.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Finally got time to ship my cam on the 16th and it was to be delivered on the 18th to Vermont.

I just called to see if they had received it yet. The guy told me they had not. Come to find out that I shipped the cam to the correct place in Vermont but that Vermont is just the shipping point for the U.S. and then it has to be sent to Québec (still hasn't shown up there as of today) to be looked at and repaired. I have a feeling this turn around is going to be awhile lol.

Joe, Your 3-4 weeks sounds about right lol.

1 Week and a couple days to even get it to the repair department, A couple days to look at it, a couple days to figure out what to do with it, couple days for paperwork, then a week to ship it back to Vermont, then another week to ship it back to me and then add a few days in there just for a safe measure lol.

They did say they should have it there in Québec in the next couple days and would call me later in the week to give me an update. Should have it back by mid August early September. This sucks specially since I haven't gotten the new BF-7 yet.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Had to come back and revisit this thread just so I could remember when I sent the stupid thing in. Still waiting on the repair and or replacement of the cam. No calls saying they have it done and shipping it yet.

Guess I will be making a phone call today.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Finally got my repaired IR-6 back today. Going to put it back out this weekend and see how well it works lol.

Got a little excited when I seen the box it was shipped in. Written on the box was IR-7BF

Then I opened it and it was just my old IR-6 :(

Still waiting on the IR-7BF that I am hoping gets here sometime before season starts lol.

Last edited:

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Finally got my repaired IR-6 back today. Going to put it back out this weekend and see how well it works lol.

Got a little excited when I seen the box it was shipped in. Written on the box was IR-7BF

Then I opened it and it was just my old IR-6 :(

Still waiting on the IR-7BF that I am hoping gets here sometime before season starts lol.

At least you got yours....mine was sent in prior to yours and it was just received at Joe's, not my house....:confused:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
At least you got yours....mine was sent in prior to yours and it was just received at Joe's, not my house....:confused:

I think it's because I had already called in and had a file started when I was first having problems with it a few months ago and called to keep updated on the progress. They took all my info so they just shipped it to me and not Joe. I was hoping the TOO order would have been shipped out at the same time this was so we could have our new cams in hand by next week but not sure if that is how it is going or not. Haven't asked Joe yet since I have been busy the past couple days.