Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

For Huck

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Thought you might like to see this Steve. The feed mill is putting up a new bin. 105'X95' 650,000 bushels. The picture is from about a mile away. The biggest bin you can see standing is a 250,000 bu iirc.

Huckleberry Finn

Sam,

That's a Brock, right? I think they are the only 105's.

I did the concrete work on a 105 in Waldo, Ohio and came back to put the door on (college semester difference). I've been on top of a different 105. I also did concrete for two 70's. The biggest I have built from start to finish was a 60 by 34 rings.

It's amazing how thick the steel is on the bottom of the 105's. They go to double sheets of Brock's heaviest...they are HUGE structures.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Not sure of the brand. I was up when they poured the footer, 14 feet wide. I knew the thing was big but when I saw just the roof compared to the bins it really put it in perspective.

Huckleberry Finn

Here ya go Sam.

105 in Waldo - hard to scale this.
105.jpg

Twin 70's in Coshocton
coshocton.jpg

That big bin on the left was my favorite...wrap around stair case. The platform on that leg is 116...a hell of a straight climb with 1 rest platform.
mcchesney leg.jpg

Jacking it in the beginning. Story on this one is that my dumbass foreman forgot the inside ladder rung plugs...he found them after it was built. I got to put all of them in...took me 3 hours...
McChesney 1.jpg

But even big bins look small from the leg!
0702000828.jpg

Huckleberry Finn

Small bins are fun though, too. We picked this one 200 yards and added 3 rings with the crane - on a windy day no less!
0731000908.jpg

Lots of little bins in a row in Morral at Con Agra.
Con Agra.jpg

This is the formwall for one of the 70's in Coshocton...
0812000907.jpg

This is the tunnel footer for a 70...I believe they had 7 foot tunnels.
0813001404.jpg

Huckleberry Finn

One more...to entice Redhunter to post his.

This is the biggest private-owned set up I've ever been on...spent the better part of a day tethered to one of those tops chaulking roof vents. Nothing like dangling from your nads and chaulking...

schroders.jpg

And yes..that's a pencil dick dryer!

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
One more...to entice Redhunter to post his.

This is the biggest private-owned set up I've ever been on...spent the better part of a day tethered to one of those tops chaulking roof vents. Nothing like dangling from your nads and chaulking...

View attachment 7591

And yes..that's a pencil dick dryer!

Fugg the boatswains chair!! That Zimmerman dryer looks bigger than ours. We can dry around 6,000 bph max, but keep it safely around 5,000. I'll bring in the camera and post pics of our facility. Our largest bin is a 250,000 tin can. All told we have 1.3 million storage capacity, and we just condemned 2 bins that totaled around 100,000. We also have a corn pile every year that usually contains well over 200,000 bushels. Some of the private farms that are adding storage around here are mind boggling as well.

BTW, there's no such thing as a poor farmer anymore.They are an extinct breed, kinda like the Dodo Bird

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Sam, Do you live nearby that farm? I travel past there all the time.

Yep, the picture was taken from my farm. PM me if you ever want to stop by.

Most of the bins there are Butlers because the owners of the mill were related to a guy that sold Butler bins. He no longer sells bins so they have been putting up other brands lately.

Huckleberry Finn

Wow, didn't know the Sukups went that big...

Of course, having worked for a brock dealer I have my preferences though!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I didn't even know Sukup made bins, not that I know much about grain storage systems, I was only familiar with their fans, augers and dryers. The 250,000 bu. bin they have is a Brock. Most of the bins put up around here lately have been Brocks and GSI.