Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hello Everyone!

Christopher

Hi everyone! Im Christopher, I'm new around here and I have to say I'm not much of a forum or blogger guy so please excuse my ignorance because I'm probably bound to mess something up. I did read the rules so I do know those... I noticed you guys have a bowfishing section for Ohio (this one) and that is rare... I've been looking for one and haven't been successful till this one.

I am a decient archer who is trying to move into bowfishing and I need some help locating decient lakes that allow bow fishing that are not to far away from my house. I live in Boston Heights, Ohio. I've been looking around and have found some lakes that allow fishing, but say nothing about bowfishing. :smiley_confused_vra I am fimilair with Ohio's rules and requirements. I am waiting to find a few lakes before I dive into getting the gear and license, but I am ready to do so. Any help would be SOOOO MUCH APPRECIATED!!! thanks again everyone! :biggrin:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Welcome to the site!

The way I understand it, bowfishing falls under the Ohio Fishing Regulation, so any where you can fish, you should be able to bowfish unless other wise posted. You can always call the local GW for that area, but good luck actually speaking to one. You have Lake Rockwell and West Branch in your backyard, so I'd start there if it were me! Good luck!!!

Christopher

Welcome to the site!

You have Lake Rockwell and West Branch in your backyard, so I'd start there if it were me! Good luck!!!

Thank you for the input Jesse. I know this sounds dumb but, just for a record for everyone else, I found out last night that as of 2006 the Ohio Supreme Court closed the lake to all recreational things because it increased the chances of diseases which would "interfere with its algae-and-weed-control procedures." The police are the ones that in force it. On the other note West Branch is open and thank you for your input again! If anyone else knows anyothers that would be great I've found a few more that im going to go to soon. One is in Hudson Ohio. Its small but we'll see.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thank you for the input Jesse. I know this sounds dumb but, just for a record for everyone else, I found out last night that as of 2006 the Ohio Supreme Court closed the lake to all recreational things because it increased the chances of diseases which would "interfere with its algae-and-weed-control procedures." The police are the ones that in force it. On the other note West Branch is open and thank you for your input again! If anyone else knows anyothers that would be great I've found a few more that im going to go to soon. One is in Hudson Ohio. Its small but we'll see.

If that lake has been closed since 2006 the bubonic plague couldn't keep me from wetting a line in it. Imagine the slunger fish in there. "Sorry officer, you caught me red handed.. You keep writing, I'll keep fishing. Deal? " lmao

Christopher

For sure For sure! They seem to be the only way to go! Know about the Zebco 808? I hear alot of how good they are but was just curious if anyone had opinions or experiences. I have the money to buy one and am serious to get one, I think.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
For sure For sure! They seem to be the only way to go! Know about the Zebco 808? I hear alot of how good they are but was just curious if anyone had opinions or experiences. I have the money to buy one and am serious to get one, I think.

Go with the AMS reel.. It's the cat's ass. I use on on an old Proline compound.

Christopher

Go with the AMS reel.. It's the cat's ass. I use on on an old Proline compound.

Are there any more specific reasons you say that you can share? I have heard some reviews where people have not liked them becuase apparently there is something weird about them. Also ready somthing about " If it is windy or the string catches on anything out it all comes..." I'm not sure what this means and also says it isnt ment for reeling in the fish. :smiley_confused_sch Im looking at buying a bow and it has the blue AMS reel like the one that Hunna771 bought and reviewed. Ive heard a lot more positive stuf about the zebco but im open to learn and would really like some more input. Thanks guys!:smile:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Are there any more specific reasons you say that you can share? I have heard some reviews where people have not liked them becuase apparently there is something weird about them. Also ready somthing about " If it is windy or the string catches on anything out it all comes..." I'm not sure what this means and also says it isnt ment for reeling in the fish. :smiley_confused_sch Im looking at buying a bow and it has the blue AMS reel like the one that Hunna771 bought and reviewed. Ive heard a lot more positive stuf about the zebco but im open to learn and would really like some more input. Thanks guys!:smile:

Ease of use. No need to activate a button before each shot, the string comes out effortlessly each time which means no drag on the arrow. It's safe. It just flat out works every time. the string never gets tangled. etc.

Christopher

Does anyone know of any good lakes to bow fish at in the north-eastern part in addition to Mosquito Lake? Has anyone tried the reservoir in West Branch?

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=q9y1q8nG4VE=&tabid=19478