Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What kind of rifle should I buy and why?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
OK - I'm looking for input

Here's the layout - I currently own

Single shot shotguns, .410 thru 12ga. Don't need none of them.
Mossberg 500 w/field barrel/rifled slug barrel. Don't need one of them.
Single shot .22's and Ruger 10/22. Don't need no more .22's (Unless it's an impulse and I want it, or anybody's got a Glenfield Model 20 w/squirrlel or groundhog on the stock - the last thing I need to complete my Glenfield collection)
30-30 Lever action. Don't need a lever action
Mosin Nagant 91/30. Big bore rifle that's only quasi accurate. Cheap to own, fun, but is what it is.

I'm thinking I need a utility rifle, maybe an AR - something accurate, high powered, and multipurpose.

If I could only buy one more longgun, what should it be and why?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Realistically are you likely to go hunting deer or bigger in the west?

If the answers is yes then look at any of the standard cartridges from .25 to .30 caliber in a bolt gun from any of the "big name" companies. Win, Rem, Savage, Ruger etc.

If the answer is no then look at .223 or .22-250. An AR varminter in .223 is a good choice for groundhog/coyote/house cat/plinker/paper puncher. Get a flat top with a free floated barrel, easy to scope and accurate. A bolt gun in either cartridge is also a good choice, in .22-250 probably a little better coyote rifle then .223, .223 has cheaper ammo. For a bolt varminter I'd lean towards a Remington or Savage.

Buckmaster

Portage
30.06 will handle all North American critters for a hunting rifle.

For plinking if you need volume fun then today's AR15 is the way to roll. Chambered in a .308 is a bit expensive so I'd go with a .223.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I have a 7MM MAG and love it. It is a very flat shooting gun and it is big enough to shoot about anything but you can still use it for deer. Plus you can really reach out and touch something if you want. I rolled a muley down a mountain from 450 yards away :)

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Maybe I need more than one.....

Maybe I need a .223 AR-15 and a nice (Savage) bolt action.

OK. Let's take this a little further.
1) Let's say I want a good AR-15 setup, without breaking the bank. What's the best way to go about it?
then
2) What features and caliber should I look at in a bolt action rifle? I don't see myself going out west, but it would be nice to have some long-range capability if there were to be an unforeseeable need.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know much about rifles... But I think the .223 AR15s are pretty bad ass. Rock River Arms makes a nice gun.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Maybe I need more than one.....

Maybe I need a .223 AR-15 and a nice (Savage) bolt action.

OK. Let's take this a little further.
1) Let's say I want a good AR-15 setup, without breaking the bank. What's the best way to go about it?
then

One of the cool things about an AR is with 2 pins you can change uppers. Uppers contain the receiver, bolt and barrel. So by changing uppers you can go from a lead squirter to an accurate long range rifle. You can even change calibers. But all that does come at a price. A basic AR is abt $600 and varminter is $1000-1100(plus optics). Uppers run $400 and up.

2) What features and caliber should I look at in a bolt action rifle? I don't see myself going out west, but it would be nice to have some long-range capability if there were to be an unforeseeable need.
If you want a long range bolt action varmint rifle .22-250 is hard to beat. 400 yards is not an overly difficult shot with practice. As I said before I'd probably go with a Remington or Savage in a heavy barrel, you will probably be in the $400-600 range plus optics. Dicks has a nice package with a Rem 700 and a cheap scope for abt $500. Personally I'd like better glass but it would get you started without breaking the bank.

If you want something you could shoot at a deer and varmints .243, .25-06, .260 Rem and .270 Win are all reasonable choices with my preferences being .25-06 and .270

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I am a NATO fan for guys that don't roll your own. .223 and .308 are relatively inexpensive when compared to other rounds in their wheelhouse. Plus, you can pick these rounds off dead bodies once the zombies come ;)

For AR's I like Colt, BCM, and PSA for Milspec guns. For a predator/long range/paper puncher the Wilson barrels are hard to beat on an AR set up.

Bolt guns are so good anymore. Just shoulder a few and see what you like. I am a .30 fan especially .308 and 30-06. I chose .308 for my main bolt cartridge for cost reasons. Plus they make AR style rifle in that caliber.

When I get back from vacation I am due to shoot some. Hopefully we can get together and shoot some. Then you will know better what you like and don't.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I do like RockRiver Arms in the 223.
With any quality AR, you can do all sorts of things from there from plan jane to scary looking. Wilson barrels kick ass.
Thats just my 2 cents. There are much more knowlageable people on here that can give you meat and details.

BTW- I told you this day would come about 2 years or more ago. I'm happy you are at this point Dan. :pickle: