Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

bow string wax

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
What type of sting wax do guys you use on your bow? I have a stick of what looks like a candle that I have been using, but my string keeps getting fuzzy in the area around the release. My bow is a bowtech and the string is stock if that helps. Thanks!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've heard Scorpion Venom is good stuff. I've been using 'String Snot' for a couple years and I really like it.

---

Btw, Boone... Sounds like you've got a good excuse to pick up a set of custom Pro Line threads from Skeeter Creek Outdoors... Just sayin'. ;)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Eric put some of that string snot on my bow and I rubbed it in. Way better than the other white stick wax i used before.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I'll have to try to find some of that stuff. I'm up near Akron. Where is this place you call skeeter creek?

Jbrown, my bow is only a year old so I can't justify a new string yet:smiley_crocodile:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'll have to try to find some of that stuff. I'm up near Akron. Where is this place you call skeeter creek?

Jbrown, my bow is only a year old so I can't justify a new string yet:smiley_crocodile:

Sunburry. It's Eric (milo) on here. He just left on vaca today but shoot him a pm and I'm sure he'll get you taken care of.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sunburry. It's Eric (milo) on here. He just left on vaca today but shoot him a pm and I'm sure he'll get you taken care of.

Yep... And he'll be making another order when he gets back, so I'm sure it won't be a problem to throw in a stick of string snot.

And Boone, it's NEVER too early to buy a new string... or any other archery gear for that matter. :)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep... And he'll be making another order when he gets back, so I'm sure it won't be a problem to throw in a stick of string snot.

And Boone, it's NEVER too early to buy a new string... or any other archery gear for that matter. :)

Especially if said string is factory. lol

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I just shoot it and the arrow goes where I aim it, the deer falls over and I eat backstraps, haha. I'm not a big bow tuner, so educate me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I just shoot it and the arrow goes where I aim it, the deer falls over and I eat backstraps, haha. I'm not a big bow tuner, so educate me.

Couple things... Custom strings are generally made of the highest quality string fibers, and are prestretched. This means that once you get your bow tuned with the new strings, you will see virtually no changes in cam timing/draw length/draw weight/etc that are common issues associated with string stretch. Another benefit is that your peep sight will not twist or move around once set in place. Gone are the days of those rubber peep hoses that tend to break at the worst possible moment. Custom strings also tend to last a bit longer than factory strings, and can even increase bow efficiency (which equates to more speed and KE). Plus, you can have them made in some bad ass looking colors. lol

The more you learn, the more you will $spend$.You sure you wanna do that?..

Damn, that is so true... :smiley_depressive:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
New strings are the way to roll. Milo sold me on it in 2007 when I bought my stock Switchback XT. Mathews strings were junk in them days and I went with some 452x strings from a dude on Archery Talk. I've shot custom strings since and replace them every year. For the price, I like knowing I'm as good as good can get going in to each summer practice season, and then all through hunting season. After a long year of shooting and being drug across hill and valley, it is time for new peace of mind!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
While we're on the topic of bowstring wax.... What are some of your preferences as to the way you apply the wax? I have heard of using a piece of leather to heat up the string, but I've since read quite a bit about how heat is the enemy of any string or cable.

Here's what I've been doing lately... I apply the wax to the string and cables liberally, then use my fingers to melt the wax and work it into the strands. After that, I take a piece of serving (about 12-15" in length), wrap it around the string a time or two, then pull it down the string while holding it tight. It's amazing how much excess dirty wax comes off the surface. Once I've removed the excess wax, I run my fingers up and down the string once more. It's just enough heat to melt the wax but not enough to compromise the strands.

I saw a youtube video of a guy who used a hair dryer to melt the wax onto the string and cables. I tried it once, and it actually seemed to work extremely well... But since I've read that heat is a bad thing, I'm a little worried that it's a bad idea.