Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ever run into these while scouting?

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I was at my lease in SE MN last Friday with my son and a good friend. We decided to split up and check a couple of cameras to get done quicker since we were just passing through. When we met up at the truck we both were like you should have seen what I saw. I came out of the woods to go down a field edge when I came face to face (well 20 feet away) with a BIG Badger. In over 20 years of hunting this property and looking at over 1 million trail camera pics I have never seen one and did not even know they were on the property. I know they are mean ******** and was glad when he finally turned and ran away. At the same time my son and friend were coming out on the bike path that runs through part of the property and saw this Rattle Snake on the bike path. Just like the Badger I have not seen a Rattle Snake, but I know they are there.

Here is a pic of the snake, sorry I didnt think fast enough to take a pic of the Badger(I was still saying OH SHIT!!!)

jeremy44230

Medina County
Caught a small Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake last year. Near the Hudson area. Didn't know what it is was until we looked it up, it was shakin it's tail at me... Looks identical to this pic. I'll try to find a pic of the one I caught.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340840123.466064.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Never run across either while hunting or checking cams in Ohio. Have run across some copperheads and rattlers in KY and a juvenile bear in SE Ohio about 25yrs ago.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Found only 1 pic. The markings on the top of the head and it's eyes are a perfect match, hard to tell from this pic.View attachment 7531

View attachment 7532

Few people even know they exist in Ohio. Very rare snake. We have them here in our woods, but I have only seen two. They are, or were endangered. I found one of them sneaking past my kid's sandbox while my daughter was playing in it. Found the other under my elk target while shooting years ago. Its probably been ten years or so since I've seen one. Neat snakes, and I hate snakes.

Craziness Tom! Please tell me you killed it!?! Legal or not legal, that thing is dying if it was me!!!

No, I jumped about 10 feet in the opposite direction and yelled cuss words at it. I was holding a flashlight on it with one hand; while waving around a bloodly Easton Axis arrow in the other incase he it tried to attack. I slowly backed a way far enough to make a safe get away. If I hadn't left my bow at the tree stand while I was tracking the doe I shot I probably would have killed it. I've passed a few bears while backpacking in other states and they have always ran away from me. Heck, I've even beat a bobcat off my dog while coon hunting in PA and that wasn't even as scary as my encounter with the badger.I think next to a wolverine a badger is probably one of the scariest animals you can run into in the USA.

Last edited: