Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

G5 Optix XR

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Anyone have any experience with this sight, or G5 sights in general?

I am going to order a new sight for my bow now that I have decided to keep it for good. I want to spend less than $150 or so on a decent sight to replace the Viper microTUNE that's on there. However, I don't want to build the actual sight (Axcel) I want for my next bow due to cost and that the next bow will be black and this sight needs to be camo.

I like the idea of the floating pin on the XR and their pins are micro adjust which is a must. Seems like a decent sight for the money...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
brother in law had one and he stripped the sight pin screws right out. I was not impressed with them. Not really impressed with g5 products all around.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have read good an bad with about them(alot of both)..I have heard what milo said more then a few times...It going to be tough to find a camo(you did say camo right?) sight,with micro adjust pins for 150$ new IMO...

whut you talkin about willis...

your shoppin at the wrong places...mischeif.gif

brother in law had one and he stripped the sight pin screws right out. I was not impressed with them. Not really impressed with g5 products all around.

I've had the same experances with g5 products in general. I had a g5 sight 2-3 years ago and had the adjustment screws strip out on. I used to use the g5 stryker broadheads but the ones i bought last year were of very poor quality. The threaded shaft on three heads in the snapped off in the arrow shaft after only two trips down range.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Jesse not familiar with the XR model but Austin and I both have the G5 Optic LE model. It has 5 pins and all are micro tune. I have no issues with mine and having the 5 pins I am ranged out to 60 yds. Not that I am super accurate at that range but it gives me the capabilities for that kind of shot.

whut you talkin about willis...

your shoppin at the wrong places...mischeif.gif

I just meant the avg joe prices(not that Jesse is avg or I am above).......I tend to pay dealer cost or slightly above or below for most of my stuff.But that is not something I can do for many others..Choice of brands can limited for me on some of these deals,but if the price is right im willing to compromise some...

.Its about the only area of life I get lucky in

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
From one Mattchews to another...what are you doing with the old sight? Is it still functional...

It is fully functional, but it has been through the ringer. The track where you tighten the allen screws has had some many adjustments, that it has indented the track in places meaning you can't fine tune the pins like I want to. It still is an accurate sight, but I'd like to get something different. If I replace it and you make it to the shoot, I'll let you look it over. If you want it, you can have it. Has a 3x lens and sun shade as well...

I have had the G5 Optix XR on my bow for about 4 years now and absolutely love it. The micro adjust is nice to fine tune the top 3 pins in. Have them set 0-20, 30 & 40 and then the adjustable one I love for backing up those much longer distances for practicing. The adjustable one I don't plan to use in a hunting situation ever, so it is nice for target shooting and extending my range out to 70 yards at times. One thing I have found, maybe it's an older version, is my marks on the tape can be just a decent starting point depending on if I go past the distance and come back up to it or just dial directly to it. Not sure if there is a little slop in the tuning knob or not but I get more consistent results if I go past (lower the pin beyond the yardage) and then come back up to it. Also went with the smallest diameter fiber optics and added the light.

Huckleberry Finn

It is fully functional, but it has been through the ringer. The track where you tighten the allen screws has had some many adjustments, that it has indented the track in places meaning you can't fine tune the pins like I want to. It still is an accurate sight, but I'd like to get something different. If I replace it and you make it to the shoot, I'll let you look it over. If you want it, you can have it. Has a 3x lens and sun shade as well...

Sounds like a plan...I was planning on buying new pins for my sight but that might be an option too. Depends on what my bow service professional tells me..

runhunter

I have a Spott Hogg, right on, with the Hogg wrap, 5 pin and I absolutely love it. I've had 2 people in 3 weeks ask me about it, and both ended up ordering it and are very happy. Their stuff is made really well, pin adjustments are simple, strudy and the pins are bright. Look into it, don't think you'll be disappointed

im also gettin the g5 optix xr, couldnt pass it up for being brand new and getting it for 60 bucks, if allen screws are the only problem ill swap em with the allen screws from my old sights maybe that would fix it, but i read both good and bad reviews as well, but all in all its better then old tru-glo sights on my bow now