Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kershaw knives? Any input?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had a friend buy me a Kershaw knife for my birthday last year. After field dressing some deer together he said I needed a good knife. I did not intend on using it for this purpose but rather a general purpose/daily carry knife. Ironically, we did use it for some field dressing duties together again last season.

It holds it's edge well. Very sharp. Easy to open. Stores away in the pocket nicely with a clip for easy access. Has served me well for the last year. Then last Sunday I was tieing on a new lure and snap swivel on the fishing pole. I had the pole on my desk in the shop and was cutting off the excess line. I dropped it on the cement floor and the blade broke. It must have hit just right. I couldn't believe it. I never would have guessed the thing would have broken like that. Has anyone else had any breakage on their Kershaw knives?

It is going out for warranty repair today. I will keep you all posted as to how they deal with it. Made in the USA. Warranty mailing address in Oregon. I would suspect they will take care of it no questions asked. It is apparent I was not prying with it. I do not foresee me hesitating in recommending one to somebody or buying one as a gift for someone. Just surprised me and thought I would ask if it was a common issue. Thanks.

Last edited:
I kershaw it up. I have like 12 of the USA made models. Kershaw will take care of you and clean your knife for you. If you drop a knife point down on a cement floor it will almost alway bend or break.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I like Kershaw also. Have three now. I broke the blade on my SOG Flash II the same way. 10 ft drop onto concrete point first...ugh.

I've never broken a Kershaw, but I am aware of their blades being harder metal than most brands. They hold an edge longer than most for that same reason, but the risk of breakage is a trade off. I have 4 different Kershaw knives and am satisfied with all of them. There are a lot of good brands of knives on the market, these days.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I only heard about half with the wife watching TV loudly. What I heard made me chuckle. Thanks Archer!

Guess I am not alone in breaking one. The thing must have hit the ground just right. Good to know they will take care of it.

Huckleberry Finn

I've never broken a Kershaw, but I am aware of their blades being harder metal than most brands. They hold an edge longer than most for that same reason, but the risk of breakage is a trade off. I have 4 different Kershaw knives and am satisfied with all of them. There are a lot of good brands of knives on the market, these days.

Bowhunter57

Is that brand specific, or a characteristic of the metal in general?

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
I carry a Kershaw #1550ST. Have for years after a friend turned me on to it. Keeps a sharp cutting edge and has never failed me! Love it!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Maybe I should add a picture?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340947316468.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340947316468.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 162
I had a Leek but Jessie took it and carries it everyday. My favorite kershaws are my OD green Blur and a special edition black and tan Skyline in S30V steel. If you are looking at buying a Leek spend the few extra bucks and get the Random Leek.
1. The Random Leek looks "cooler"
2. The blade steel is S30V instead of 14C28N Sanvick.
The Sanvick steels are good but its hard to beat the edge holding and rust restant properties of S30V.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I had a Leek but Jessie took it and carries it everyday. My favorite kershaws are my OD green Blur and a special edition black and tan Skyline in S30V steel. If you are looking at buying a Leek spend the few extra bucks and get the Random Leek.
1. The Random Leek looks "cooler"
2. The blade steel is S30V instead of 14C28N Sanvick.
The Sanvick steels are good but its hard to beat the edge holding and rust restant properties of S30V.

There's a man who knows a thing or two about knives! That's what is so great about this place and I tell people this all the time: If you have a question about something and can't get an answer, or at least a point in the right direction from the guys here, then it doesn't exist.

Nothing further to add on my end other than to add that I recently bought a Gerber Evo Tanto with the serrated blade for my new carry knife a while back. So far, I like it. I miss my SOG Flash something fierce. I may get in to this knife collecting though because a good knife is an essential part of my day and I'd like to have some variety!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Is that the same Flash I pointed you towards Jesse? If so, how did you loose it so fast? Lol

Yes. The clip had a knack for getting caught on things and it was to the point it could catch and come out easily. We were clearing brush at the river one weekend and I lost it there. It's in the middle of a burn pile on the shores of the Mighty Musky right now...