Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for insight.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Got a little dilemma on our hands and not sure quite what to do. So I thought I would throw the situation out there and see what you guys think.

The wife and I got Austin a dirt bike for Christmas back when he was nine. He has gotten good use out of it, but since he is sixteen now he maybe gets on of and fires it once or twice a month.

There as been talk about selling it, but this is where it gets tricky. When said bike is sold who gets the money? Austin or Mom and Dad.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When I had one as a kid, mom and dad bought it and I rode it. They sold it and upgraded a couple times over the years (Dad rode too which extended my riding years beyond just plinking around the empty fields.) When I got to seventh grade they said "We cannot afford to upgrade again. If you want a bigger or better one you will have to buy it." I did just that. My younger brother rode the old one until he moved on. Slightly different scenario though. Mine was not bought as a Christmas or birthday present.

We bought one for Garrett and he found out on his birthday last year. HOWEVER, the present was some riding boots and pants. The bike was also presented, but we made it clear his gift was the gear. We wanted him to know if his sister or someone else wanted to ride it, then it was our call, not his.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I would say yours..but if he throws a hissy fit about it I would question his intentions with it and get to the real issue. I would maybe consider re investing it into another family item and see what his reaction is.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
That is a tough situation. We havent bought our kids anything as big as a dirt bike yet, but we have bought my daugther a bigger play house she could go in and both our children the bigger battery powered gators and jeeps for their birthdays. When they out grew them and they wanted to sell them we let them keep the $ because it was a birthday present.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I agree that it was his gift so it is his money. If it were a family bike that he rode then no...but it was a Christmas gift.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I can see I am becoming my father. If this were him, he would sell it and the money would be his to decide what to do with. However, I also believe he'd turn it in to something fun for me as well and that's what I would do. I see the dirt bike as something different than say an heirloom of significant value or something that wasn't as "throw away" or inanimate as the bike, therefore something I need to control. Who knows, maybe that mindset will change when I have kids. I say get his ideas on what to do with the money or use it for college/car. If his ideas are outlandish, you are his dad and he must live with the decision you make...

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Agree with those above - his bike, his money.
But put a bug in his ear, that you'll be watching what he does with the money and you hope he does something responsible....and he'll be judged on how he handles himself and that responsibility.
And it may affect how willing you'll be to help him in the near future. (If he saves it or uses it responsibly, he'll gain your respect and you'll be much more willing to help)

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like Milo's response. If he wants the money, you need to figure out what he plans on doing with the money. If it's something frivalous, you lay the smack down.

My dad bought my brother and I each dirt bikes when I was younger. They were gifts, but when I got older and we agreed to sell them, he kept the money. I was fine with it, because as part of our "agreement" took the money and bought a nice 14" modified V duck boat. Over the years, I've gotten a good bit of shared use out of this boat.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I sell alot of the kids stuff on EBay (old video games mostly). That money goes back to them because they were gifts from us or relatives anyway.

Clothes I sell goes to our bank account.

I'd say something as big as a dirt bike should be his money to be spent wisely.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Thanks a lot for all the imput.

I should say that I too had a dirt bike growing up, and when it was sold it was dads money, but I think the difference is that it wasn't a "gift" per se it was something that he wanted me to enjoy. Through this I am seeing a little difference because we gave it to him as a gift, and I think that is where the struggle is that it is his bike.

He has talked about selling it so that he can get a car. The problem lies in the fact he has a specific car in mind and it is a $500 dodge neon from "a freind" that he doesn't even know the year or the miles. He is so dead set on the fact of him having "his own car" he cant step back and look at this rationally. So I know if he sells it and I am not involved it will just be wasted down the drain. The other fact about him having "his own car" is the fact that I know he can't afford insurance on a car that is in his name. It is rediculously outragous for a 16 year old boy to have a car in his name because of the insurance. I mean I think it is over $900 a half if the car is in his name. :smiley_blackeye: I like the idea of college but I dont really think that is a path he is going to choose.

Still considering what to do, any other input is appreciated.

Huckleberry Finn

I feel like that's an opportunity for a teaching lesson. If he cleans up the bike, sells it (lists it and does the legwork), than he can keep the funds...

And, with the whole car situation, you just need to remember to hold the car / insurance over his head...which translates into rules for using the car. Trust me on that one..haha

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I agree that it was his gift so it is his money. If it were a family bike that he rode then no...but it was a Christmas gift.

Gotta agree with Charles on this one as well..... His gift his money, he may waste it but it's his too waste, although you can be verry opinionated on what he spends it on...... It's all part of the growing up process.....