Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Who says Moultries suck??

buckstar25

T-county
I have reads more than a few posts on Moultrie cameras. I found out over the last 3 years that either we are extremely lucky or it's a lot of bias. My buddy bought a combo "reman" set of i45's. With the exception of 1or 2 months, these cameras are in the woods 365 days a year. They have been frozen in 8 degree winters and never stopped takin pictures! I seriously have zero complaints. The quality of pictures is great, the night pictures and flash ranges are great, for a scouting camera he hit the mother load with these things. We set them up according to season and are always on 3 shot burst. The videos are fun an good quality. If anyone is familiar with the red fox picture I posted, it was just pure luck but the picture was unreal.

My dad just purchased a "reman" set of the i90's.....completely different animal!! Gimongous camera, terrible card accessibility, but they have been out through thick and thin and have worked just as good as the i45's. The only thing I don't understand is the 13 secon delay on 3 shot mode. 9 megapixel daytime pics on enhance mode are awesome, infrared pics are decent. Less than 400.00 for 4 cameras that we use year round and do far have not given us any trouble.

My experience with the workin man's camera has been nothing short of terrible. Wildgame Innovations have been by far the worst cameras I have ever had experience with. Bad power supply wires, drained batteries, cameras defective from the factory, constantly sending back and receiving more junk product has turned me against them. If it weren't for customer service I would have nothing good to say about their cameras.

I eventually want to try a leaf river camera but not in the budget right now.

So what's your preference and why?

Just an informational thread maybe for a guy who is lookin for something different and wants some real reviews and opinions.....

jeremy44230

Medina County
I have 3 Moultries myself and like the pics. The only problem that I have is all 3 screens have died in them... Just got to buy new screens and replace them. Also get a lot of blank pics, not sure why, maybe due to slow trigger?? All in all I like them fair enough and keep at least 1 out all year.

Just got a Spypoint mini and got the first set of pics off it. Absolutely love it! Got more pics with deer in them... Could be trigger time or maybe just placement.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I have had good luck with Moultries for a while also. They lasted a couple of years, but my cameras get a work out. I have had the best luck with DLC Covert's of the brands I have tried. I have not tried Spy Point yet but I have heard good things about them.

CuddeBack though they SUCK!!!!!

matty636

mville
not a big fan of the moultries i actually prefer wildgame over them as they may not be the best but do the job i actually did a little bit of modification to to the few i have to make them hook up to the bigger 6v batteries last long time but i just started with spypoints love em

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've owned about 8 different brands of cameras in the past 8 years. I did not have good luck with my Moultries and my experience with their customer service was pretty pathetic. I've known people that loved their Moultries, but I was simply not a fan. I loved my BuckEye Cams and Cuddebacks when I had them, but I've become a SpyPoint guy in the past year. I just came home to an order of 10, 4 being mine and I have two on order still as we wait for a new production run. I have been very happy with their performance to date. I also own two DLC Coverts that the jury is still out on. In terms of ease of operations, battery life, trigger speed, security, and picture quality, SpyPoint may very well be making the best cam for the money behind Reconyx.

Visit TrailCamPro and read some of their reviews, along with ChasingGame. Both are great websites for researching cams...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have only tried one Moultrie. First camera I ever bought. Worked just fine but it ate batteries like Peggy Bundy ate bon-bons. Good pictures, just huge and missed a lot of pictures due to slow trigger. In all fairness, I may not have been the best of choosing location at the time since it was my first camera. That was a D40 I believe.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have 2 moultries and they have been pretty good...although I have had problems with both of them and had to send them back in to the factory. The customer service took care of the issues and replaced the cameras.

I have a Moultrie I-60 and so far it has been a tank for a trail camera. Yeah the trigger speed is a little slow, you hear a small clunk when it takes a picture but it has been reliable. Had to replace the LCD screen on it last year and that was simple. Had a little bad experience with customer service as the first cam I purchased the IR pics were terrible. After a go round of send it in, it's OK, send it back in and replace I was happy with the replacement.

I have 3 Moultries myself and like the pics. The only problem that I have is all 3 screens have died in them... Just got to buy new screens and replace them.

Simple to replace once you get the screen from them jeremy!

The other cam I have is a BEC Apollo. I cannot say enough good things about them other than the battery only lasts on average of about 2-3 years (with solar charger attached)!! :smiley_clap: With my second battery recently dying this has been the longest the camera has not been running. Got it several years ago and basically has taken tens of thousands of pictures, great trigger speed and reliable.

Been seeing a lot of pictures lately from the newest DLC Covert cams that have incredible quality pictures. Like the looks of the Spypoint cams too with the different options, just some of the picture quality I have seen isn't nearly as nice. Decisions...decisions.....

TurkeyFizz

I have 4 scoutguards, the 2 550's I own have been running since 2008 pretty much non-stop. They just keep cranking out good quality photo's. I just bought a 580 cellular haven't played enough with it yet. The 560 I have works fine but I don't like as well as my 550's. picture quality is not as good as the 550's. I owned 2 cudde's won't own another. I gotta say the night pics I'm seeing from the Moultre cams are some of the best IR pics I've seen.

Last edited:

buckstar25

T-county
The I45's battery life is roughly 2-3 months over bait/3 shot mode. That is usually never less than 250 pics a week. The video mode does take its toll on the batteries but we only use it over scrapes during the rut.

Lots of good info so far, have never heard anything about spy point. Saw a few pics out there and was the first I had heard I them.

My other buddy has Stealth Cam's he has had pretty good luck until last year. Has sent the newest one back a few times.

buckstar25

T-county
I will say the wild game D4 we got a a complimentary sample from the company has been a freakin workhorse! 4 c batteries over trails and I never touch it until march or April!!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I run 5 moultrie 55, trigger speed is a little slow that's really my only complaint. Mine get left out about 8,9 months a year. Battery life is pretty good for what they are, I think that is one place cameras have improved on over the last couple years. A lot of the newer cams seem to go longer on less or smaller battery's. I think next time I pick up a camera I will try something new for faster trigger speed