Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Picking rocks

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
One of the joys of farming terminal moraine soils is picking rocks.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
The skid steer handled it ok, it'll pickup ~a ton. I'd guess this rock went between 1500-1750 lbs. I didn't have to dig it out much, it was in a treeline I had cleared in march. The excavator had it pulled out. I burned the last of the stumps and was cleaning up the rocks and sticks today, I had 5 or 6 more buckets of rocks that I hauled out.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Cotty I find some interesting rocks, I have one that has a bunch of sea shell fossils in it. A couple of the rocks today were a red granite, found a good size gray granite this spring that ended up in the wife's flowerbed.

For now it went on the rock pile, my rock pile probably has several semi loads of rocks in it. This one was bigger then most but it isn't really big compared to some we've found. I know of 3 car sized rocks dad buried when I was in middle school. He had a big dozer come in and bury them 4-5 feet below plow depth.

Last edited:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Cotty I find some interesting rocks, I have one that has a bunch of sea shell fossils in it. A couple of the rocks today were a red granite, found a good size gray granite this spring that ended up in the wife's flowerbed.

For now it went on the rock pile, my rock pile probably has several semi loads of rocks in it. This one was bigger then most but it isn't really big compared to some we've found. I know of 3 car sized rocks dad buried when I was in middle school. He had a big dozer come in and bury them 4-5 feet below plow depth.

So by now they are provably about ready to start showing back up on the surface.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice machine Sam. I guess I just find it weird you use a skid loader to get your rocks off. lmao

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
So by now they are provably about ready to start showing back up on the surface.

On that note; any idea how far big items like a 50 or 100 lb. or even 5 lb. rock move in the heaving process that brings em to the surface. Or a rock like Sam's :smiley_confused_vra
How far up do they move a year?