Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Stan Release.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
What's the difference between the SX2 Trio

and the Shootoff Trio

And how about the difference between Medium and large. I see on their site they say the only difference is the sweep.. What's the ups and downs of a mild or aggressive sweep.

I found someone online who has a SX2 3 finger for $100 bucks. But it's a medium and i don't know the sizing.

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio

There is the difference in the design of the two. The shootoff is more swept back than the SX2

As for size, you will probably want a large. I shot a medium in both releases, and it just felt too small in my hand. My index finger barely fit in the "U" on the release. IMO, they should call the medium a small.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So what are the advantage / disadvantage of the swept neck. Does it cause you to hold the thumb release closer / further away from your neck?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I honestly just think it is personal preference. I liked the swept back sweep better. You can adjust the thumb bar infinitely on both, so I don't think that should be a concern for one over the other. Best thing you could do is find one and shoot it to see if you like it or not. Maybe Jesse or Jim or Adam or Steve will chime in with their opinions.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm with Greg on the reason for the sweep... It's most likely just a matter of comfort. I really like the feel of the Shootoff. I think the SX2 would be a bit uncomfortable for me.

Try this, Joe... Hold your right elbow up like you're at full draw, position your hand and knuckles like you're holding the Stan (like you're getting ready to judo chop something), and rotate your wrist so that you're thumb is pointing down. See how each knuckle progressively gets closer to your elbow? This naturally correlates to the sweep of the Shootoff. Now try to square up your knuckles so that they're 90-degrees to your forearm... You basically have to rotate your wrist down toward the floor (this will be similar to how you'd hold the SX2 at full draw). For me, it just doesn't feel comfortable.

Jesse shoots a large, I shoot a large, and I believe Adam shoots a large. We're all roughly in the same ballpark as far as hand size goes... So I'd say you'd be best buying a large.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Mine is the large Trio Shootoff as well. The guy ordered me the SX2 and I just didn't like the looks of it and thought it just added a pc to the front of the release that I felt could cause problems and snag the string as it was released so thats why I went with the shootoff over the SX2. The SX2 from what I gathered from looking at it that it was designed to be shot using a cord that went around the bow string where the Shootoff was designed more for use with a D-loop setup.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I would shoot someones first before buying. I have had two Carters (Chocolate Addiction/Just Cuz) , a Stan (SX2), and the Truball (Pro-Diamond) and shoot the good finger releases just as well.

So now I shoot a Whalens Hooker for BT and a Little Bitty Goose for hunting.

Another thing I couldn't get used to is the "tink" of a thumb jobies upon release. A lot louder than expected.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would shoot someones first before buying. I have had two Carters (Chocolate Addiction/Just Cuz) , a Stan (SX2), and the Truball (Pro-Diamond) and shoot the good finger releases just as well.

So now I shoot a Whalens Hooker for BT and a Little Bitty Goose for hunting.

Another thing I couldn't get used to is the "tink" of a thumb jobies upon release. A lot louder than expected.

If there was one thing I didn't like about my Stan it would be this. It's definitely louder than any other release I've owned. I mean, I don't think it's loud enough to booger up a hunt or anything... But it definitely takes a little getting used to.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Man that click is loud. I think it could make an already weary deer jump on the shot. That is what stuck in my head and the reason why I sold the others. I REALLY wanted to like them since they are so cool looking and I really dig fine made, mechanical objects.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I have jesse's at my house right now joe and if nobody is heading to the farm this weekend it will be at my house on saturday.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Man that click is loud. I think it could make an already weary deer jump on the shot. That is what stuck in my head and the reason why I sold the others. I REALLY wanted to like them since they are so cool looking and I really dig fine made, mechanical objects.

Do you honestly think a deer would hear the click over the bow going off or the arrow whizzing through the air? I know your bow is very quiet and all, but I have a hard time believing a deer would hear the release.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Do you honestly think a deer would hear the click over the bow going off or the arrow whizzing through the air? I know your bow is very quiet and all, but I have a hard time believing a deer would hear the release.

My thoughts exactly. The release is right next to your ear as well, so it is going to sound way louder to you than it will a deer even without the additional noise of the bow/arrow...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My thoughts exactly. The release is right next to your ear as well, so it is going to sound way louder to you than it will a deer even without the additional noise of the bow/arrow...

Yep. I mean, we've all shot around each other with the Stans... I can't say I've ever noticed the click of the release while someone else is shooting it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep. I mean, we've all shot around each other with the Stans... I can't say I've ever noticed the click of the release while someone else is shooting it.

I've never noticed it and I paid attention when Jbrown shoot his at the last shoot.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Edited because Joe said he already paid attention to JB's release when shooting...

The noise isn't the biggest part for me anyway. Having a $200 release that performs no better (actually worse IMHO because of the metallic noise) than a $50 release doesn't make sense for me.

Why have the extra noise when you can shoot other releases just as well? Remember this is for ME personally and advice for Joe to consider. It isn't like I think the thumb releases are inferior. Just not my bag.

We all have seen the videos of deer dropping, just don't wanna add more to the equation. Especially a metallic sound being the first sound of a bow being shot. At 25 yards and in I don't think it really matters but on out to 40 it just may. It probably wouldn't matter but it is something that has stuck in my crawl.

Out of all the thumb releases I owned my favorite was the Carter "Chocolate Addiction" followed closely by the Stan SX2.