Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

mineral

rossbows

Im kind of new to the hole mineral thing been doing it for the last few years. I have always just bought mineral. I liked the thread that jesse did on diy mineral and i gave it a go this spring with good luck so far. I was looking at mineral at tsc and came across this mineral. I liked what was on the tag I am looking for some input on the mineral levels on the tag for pros and cons if there is any.

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 199
  • tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 204

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Finally had a chance to look over this in a little more detail and I think what you found will be just fine. Both the Phosphorus and Calcium levels in that mix are lower than what comes in mine, with the Phosphorus being substantially lower. (Mine runs 18.5% or more on that front.) The thing to remember when running minerals is that regardless of what is in the mix, genetics will win 10 out of 10 times when it comes to developing a rack to its fullest potential. When we supplement minerals, we are hoping to fill a void in our deer herds diet. Most experts will tell you that calcium and phosphorus are among the most important minerals in antler development, so I try to keep both in high supply in my mix. You're calcium level is within 20% of what my mix contains, so you are close there. The only real deficiency I see here is the phosphorus level, but I still think it will be a mix that deer will use and benefit from.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How high are you saying your Calcium and Phosphorous % are in the home made mix you make Jesse?

I'd have to do some digging to answer that correctly Tom. The di-cal mix I use, which is 1/4 of my mix, is 18.5% phosphorus and between 20-24% calcium. I can't remember what the other products bring to the equation of the top of my head, but not much in terms of those two minerals...

chetter74

I've been using Jesse's diy mix the passed 2 years with good sign of use , the big plus I have found with it is that I can get 40 lbs for $8 at the local feed mill

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I am sure the deer will POUND that mix. Deer LOVE salt but TOO much salt is not good for any animal. Not knowing exactly the percentages that are in those bags, but having a good idea I would say the salt content would be a minimum of 75% and most likely is over 80%.