Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

If you could pick any week?

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I would pick October 29 to November 4th. I have 2 rules from my wife during hunting season dont miss my daughters birthday(Sept 27) and BE HOME for Halloween night to take the kids trick or treating. Even then I still would pick those dates and make the drive back and forth for Halloween.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have more daylight trail camera pictures between Nov 4-11 than any other week of the year. Seems this is about the time you will see a big boy on his feet during daylight unless someone pressures them out. I have also seen more deer on their feet from the stand around this time frame.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
October 28- November 4th

Then I'd be cussing myself if I still had my buck tag and want the next 7 days off!
Repeat process till either divorce was brought up or employer leaving messages on home telephone telling me to get back to the ROCK! Lol

Hard to pick a exact week

Living in NW Ohio farm country with small woods , CPR feilds and creek lines for deer cover
During bow season I hunt my place and neibors farms right behind my house much of the time
Most of the good hunts are evenings and only 2 hr long

So I would have to say break the week up into 2-3 hr chunks and I will hunt longer LOL

But a week right around Nov 7 has produced some of the easyest hunts / bigest deer I have taken

John

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I usually like one of the first two weeks of November... It just depends on weather conditions. I will go with the coldest of the two weeks, if possible. From what I've seen over the years, ambient air temp plays a bigger role in deer sightings than the timing of one week vs. another. The rut can be full blown, but if it's 75-degrees you won't be seeing much during daylight hours.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If I was putting all my eggs in one basket then I would hunt Nov 5th through the 12th year in and year out.

Same here. In the past, I would have said the 28th of October through the 4th of November, but those days have been sub par for me over the past few years. I'd almost be willing to take the week of Thanksgiving TOO...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm taking the 3rd through the 11th off this year..

All you guys thinking halloween might want to be cautious of the full moon this year. It falls right on the 31st of Oct. and will be a half moon on the 23rd and half again on the 5th. By the 14th their will be no moon...

I'm not a huge believer in moon phases for the rut timing.. But one thing i can say without doubt is hot or warm days with a good moon means rutting behavior is mostly at night. I'm going t start my vacation on the 3rd and go through the 14th. No moon is on the 14th.

Last year I shot my buck on the 7th. But prior to that I hadn't seen much rutting behavior outside late evening and early morning. Which led me to believe it was mainly at night. That week the full moon was on wednesday. My bucks was bumped to me by another set of hunters on the prop and he was with a doe.

Kaiser878

ohio
I'm taking the 3rd through the 11th off this year..

All you guys thinking halloween might want to be cautious of the full moon this year. It falls right on the 31st of Oct. and will be a half moon on the 23rd and half again on the 5th. By the 14th their will be no moon...

I'm not a huge believer in moon phases for the rut timing
.. But one thing i can say without doubt is hot or warm days with a good moon means rutting behavior is mostly at night. I'm going t start my vacation on the 3rd and go through the 14th. No moon is on the 14th.

Last year I shot my buck on the 7th. But prior to that I hadn't seen much rutting behavior outside late evening and early morning. Which led me to believe it was mainly at night. That week the full moon was on wednesday. My bucks was bumped to me by another set of hunters on the prop and he was with a doe.

Im of the same mind set. I have seen and shot some of my best deer on full moons....Its just being in the right spot at the right time

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Im of the same mind set. I have seen and shot some of my best deer on full moons....Its just being in the right spot at the right time

I was saying be cautious of it. Warm days like in the 70s like it was last year will send deer into the night if there is a full moon.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
You can't go wrong by any dates between Halloween and Thanksgiving in my opinion. So good luck fellows, I plan on being done by then...lol