Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hang em in July or Sept?

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Considering the fact that I'll only be five hours from home I'm considering hanging some tree stands in July. However, I'll be back to J-town in September (I'm not missing swappers day) so I may just wait until then to hang a few stands.

I have two places I want to put them. The first is the spot where I killed my 2005 Ohio buck. The second is down the road a few miles in an area I historically see a lot of deer. The second spot is risky because my stand might get stolen. The second is probably OK because it's a spot that most folks would never consider hunting.

Another option, and probably the one that'll happen, is I spend a few days shimming up trees, cutting limbs, and clearing shooting lanes.

What are your thoughts?

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
If it were me, I would go in and do all the prep (pick a tree, trim lanes, etc.), and then go in and hang in September, since it is in a location where theft is a possibility. Nothing worse than going in to hunt in the morning and finding your tree stand is gone.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
if you need a hand chuck let me know and i will shoot over and help you out.

Kaiser878

ohio
IF you know where the deer travel on a routine yearly basis and you already have a tree picked out...Id hang them now! I do most of my scouting in jan/feb/march.....then hang my stands accordingly. I have one stand I need to hang in the next week or so.....Deer tolerate intrusion now....Not so much in september...Not to mention deer will move around by september...The last thing you wanna do is hang a stand when the bucks are settling in to early fall patterns when it can be avoided by just hanging the stand now when its 3 months away

The stand that I am gonig to hang soon wont be hunted untill late october early november....If that tells you anything

How do you hang your stands? do you use screw in steps or sticks? I never use sticks for the risk of them being stolen. I use screw in steps and 5 5/8 grade 8 bolts. Make your first 5 steps the bolts. once you get everything hung, on your way down remove the bolts and take them home with you or hide them under a nearby log. WHen you go in to hunt it the first time take your 5 bolts AND 5 screw in steps in case the holes have closed....Theft problem solved... 9 times out of ten people steal stands because they see the steps or the ladders first....by removing the first 5 steps you lessen your chances of people even seeing the stand! Let alone steal it..People often steal stands because its easy also...you are goingto eliminate that by making the firt 5 steps obsolete....thats if they even see the stand to begin with...which they probably wont.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
IF you know where the deer travel on a routine yearly basis and you already have a tree picked out...Id hang them now! I do most of my scouting in jan/feb/march.....then hang my stands accordingly. I have one stand I need to hang in the next week or so.....Deer tolerate intrusion now....Not so much in september...Not to mention deer will move around by september...The last thing you wanna do is hang a stand when the bucks are settling in to early fall patterns when it can be avoided by just hanging the stand now when its 3 months away

The stand that I am gonig to hang soon wont be hunted untill late october early november....If that tells you anything

I agree with Zach. Hanging stands in July sucks, but I think it is much better to do it then, than September...

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA

How do you hang your stands? do you use screw in steps or sticks? I never use sticks for the risk of them being stolen. I use screw in steps and 5 5/8 grade 8 bolts. Make your first 5 steps the bolts. once you get everything hung, on your way down remove the bolts and take them home with you or hide them under a nearby log. WHen you go in to hunt it the first time take your 5 bolts AND 5 screw in steps in case the holes have closed....Theft problem solved... 9 times out of ten people steal stands because they see the steps or the ladders first....by removing the first 5 steps you lessen your chances of people even seeing the stand! Let alone steal it..People often steal stands because its easy also...you are goingto eliminate that by making the firt 5 steps obsolete....thats if they even see the stand to begin with...which they probably wont.

Thanks for the in puts from everyone. If my wifes uncle's property is still huntable then I'll probably hang one on his property. I had planned on doing what Zach mentions above by using tree steps and removing them until I'm ready to hunt. This stand is going to be in a 1-2 acre patch of woods in the middle of a corn field. I'm telling ya only good comes from this type of set up. However last year he had corn on it so I'm assuming this year it'll probably be beans. I'm not sure how well that would play out as I'm afraid I might spook deer when I slip into to hunt it.

The other property is the one I'm worried about theft. We hung the neighbors stand and it lasted for three years (I actually broke it last year while hunting from it). I like the climber option too because it'll allow me to fine tune stands. I guess we'll see how it goes.

I may hang a trail cam too to see what I can get pictures of in the area.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I would also hang the stands in July. If you are worried about theft you could go in hang the stands and trim your lanes, then pull the sticks so it wont be easy for any one to steal them.