Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

First cicada of the year

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Haven't heard any yet myself. Always like to mark the first peeps and lightening bugs as well. Oh, and the whip-poor-wills also!!!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I like listening to the cicadas. To me it means mid to late summer, and we all know what comes next, bowhunting haha. The kids found some empty skins last weekend, but didn't hear them until recently too.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Funny the only time I have heard them has been down in Ohio until this year. For the last couple of weeks we have had one doing it's thing at night.

Just another animal that we don't hear/see much of any more. When I was a kid, it was nothing to hear 5-6 a night. Now, I'm lucky to hear 2-3 a year...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Haven't heard the cicada yet but you can bet I will be marking the calender when I do. They seem to be very close. Most they have been off since I started marking the calender a few years ago was 2-3 weeks late. Not bad for a bunch of bugs and I rather be the 2-3 weeks ahead of the frost instead of 2-3 weeks late getting the last of the things done for fall prep.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
My encounter appears to be earlier than previous years and had me wondering a couple of things...was it just a periodical cicada I heard versus the dog-days cicada...we have had a pretty warm spring so maybe that is why I heard one so early...warm spring into summer = earlier breeding I hear.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
My encounter appears to be earlier than previous years and had me wondering a couple of things...was it just a periodical cicada I heard versus the dog-days cicada...we have had a pretty warm spring so maybe that is why I heard one so early...warm spring into summer = earlier breeding I hear.

Sounds like the issue for this year.

I would wait until you hear a BUNCH of them sounding off and go from there. Should be about this time next month. Seems everything this year is about a month ahead lol. I know the corn should only be waist high by 4th of July but this year might be closer to chest high or higher.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yep, old adage is knee high...

With the little rain a lot of fields will be lucky to be knee high around here. Couple decent rains can make up for a lot though.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I always heard "knee high" also...but I thought it might have been a different saying in a different area...last spring was so wet and a lot of farmers got a late start or no start at all and now it seems to be ahead of schedule!!!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There are corn fields already chest high around our area.

A few field are TOO down here as well Drake. Mostly knee to waist though.

Love listening to the cicadas as well, throw in some whippoorwill action and a campfire and beer.......don't get much better!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nearly all the crops our way were late plantings, so nothing looks good right now. There were a handful of people who planted in a small 2-3 day window that have crops looking good right now, but by and large, we are way behind schedule down this way...