Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Do you use wraps or quick fletches?

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
Last year I used the NAP quick spin quick fletches and really liked them. But this year I am working on a custom Monster Raxx wrap with the NAP quick spin vanes.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've used wraps for several years now with Blazers or Quik Spins fletched over the wraps. I'm not going that route any more. For some unknown reason, and I've done several things different/correct, I can't get Blazers to stick to wraps anymore without some sort of issue. If the fletching sticks to the wrap, the wrap peals and I've had 3 different brands peel. It gets tiresome cleaning arrows with wraps after a several dozen arrows!

I love a white wrap for visual purposes when target shooting and for showing me blood sign, but I'm honestly done fooling with them. Two whites and a colored index with white nocks from here on out...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I tried the qick fletch things last year, and really liked them at first. I shoot a lot, and after a short time, the quick fletches started slipping. I suppose a little glue around the edges would likely fix that problem. I have a couple dozen fletched up now, but when I am ready to re-fletch, I may try them again. The ease of replacement is hard to beat, and they are pretty on a carbon.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've used wraps for several years now with Blazers or Quik Spins fletched over the wraps. I'm not going that route any more. For some unknown reason, and I've done several things different/correct, I can't get Blazers to stick to wraps anymore without some sort of issue. If the fletching sticks to the wrap, the wrap peals and I've had 3 different brands peel. It gets tiresome cleaning arrows with wraps after a several dozen arrows!

I love a white wrap for visual purposes when target shooting and for showing me blood sign, but I'm honestly done fooling with them. Two whites and a colored index with white nocks from here on out...

Have you considered wrapping I front of the fletch. Would still be good for 3D, blood, and arrow tracking.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've used wraps a lot and, even though I like the increased visability with white wraps, I'm not a huge fan of refletching arrows that have been wrapped. Plain and simple... it's a pain in the ass. That being said, I got 6 reflective-white custom Skeeter Creek Outdoors wraps from Milo last weekend, so I'll be putting them to use. My plan for now is to have 6 arrows wrapped and designated for hunting, while the rest of my arrows are kept unwrapped and used for practice and 3d.

Jesse... Try the Loctite Ultra Control gel super glue. I've used that and Fletchtite Platinum... While the platinum has never done me wrong, the Loctite glue is much better IMO. Easier to apply, easier to control, less mess, and a stronger bond. Also, make sure you're cleaning the shafts good with Acetone before fletching or wrapping. You'll know when they're clean when they start making that "squeaky" sound as you wipe 'em down.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I used that this time around, but the wraps went to shit on the ends. They were a different supplier and I was not all that happy with them. I may try some from the people that did Badger's wraps this year, but that may be the last time. I like the idea of having 6 with and 6 without. One thing is for sure, I am sold on the Loctite Ultra, but I still hate the Fletchtite Platinum!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I used that this time around, but the wraps went to shit on the ends. They were a different supplier and I was not all that happy with them. I may try some from the people that did Badger's wraps this year, but that may be the last time. I like the idea of having 6 with and 6 without. One thing is for sure, I am sold on the Loctite Ultra, but I still hate the Fletchtite Platinum!

Yep... Loctite is the way to go. One thing I really like about it is the little squeeze "tabs" on the sides of the bottle. It gives you so much control over the stream of glue. That fuggin Fletchtite with the soft foil tube seems like it spews out more glue on its own that what you use on the fletchings. Best of all, though, the loctite glue can be found at just about any retail store.

I absolutely love to use wraps. My arrows are done with a white personalized wrap with Bohning Blazer Vanes. Learned a few years back that you have to start your first one right over the seam on the wrap to keep that wrap from shrinking and causing your vanes to shift and become out of alignment. I also use Fletchtite Platinum glue and have never had issues. Also, putting a dab of glue on the front and back of each vane insures they will stay on even when burying into the target. To re-fletch simply use a hair dryer to heat up the wrap and they come off relatively easy. Use rubbing alcohol or preferably mineral spirits to remove the adhesive residue and in no time you are ready to roll a new one!! :smiley_cigar:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep... Loctite is the way to go. One thing I really like about it is the little squeeze "tabs" on the sides of the bottle. It gives you so much control over the stream of glue. That fuggin Fletchtite with the soft foil tube seems like it spews out more glue on its own that what you use on the fletchings. Best of all, though, the loctite glue can be found at just about any retail store.

Amen! That is why I made the change. The tube for Fletchtite is about the worst idea since reality TV. No control and is vomits all over the place every time you sit it down. I never liked how stringy it was either...

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I used wraps for a long time but then everytime I had a fletching get ripped or shot thru by another arrow I couldnt seem to get them lined back up perfect so stripping wraps bc a pain. I just use fusion vanes with goat tuff glue now to keep it simple.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
Here is the design I had done for my new wraps.

Kaiser878

ohio
I have never used wraps and never will. Probably one of the worst inventions to hit the archery scene. They add weight, the peel off, re-fletching them is a pain in the ass. I have seen a lot of inconsistent weight issues with wraps.. Meaning, wraps in the same package all weigh different.

I guess the only person they would work out well for is a person who doesnt shoot their bow a lot. Im not to much worried about how "cool" my arrows look.......All im concerned about is consistency and good arrow flight.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have never used wraps and never will. Probably one of the worst inventions to hit the archery scene. They add weight, the peel off, re-fletching them is a pain in the ass. I have seen a lot of inconsistent weight issues with wraps.. Meaning, wraps in the same package all weigh different.

I guess the only person they would work out well for is a person who doesnt shoot their bow a lot. Im not to much worried about how "cool" my arrows look.......All im concerned about is consistency and good arrow flight.

I agree with you that there are some flaws in using arrow wraps, but there are some benefits to using them as well. In my experience, using a solid white wrap really does increase arrow visability during flight. It also makes it easier to assess how good of a shot you made when you're inspecting blood on the arrow (i.e. the blood/bubbles/tissue contrast better against a white wrap than the charcoal arrow shaft). Another thing that's nice is you can get them in a reflective finish, which makes locating an arrow in the dark a piece of cake.

Can they effect arrow flight and consistency?... Sure. Are they one of the worst inventions to hit the archery scene?... Not even close, IMO.

I have never had a wrap peel off,unless I wanted it to..I find it easier to re-fletch using them.I also find it safer then taking a blade to my bare carbon shaft an taking a chance nicking or gouging it..Inconsistent weight?I use cheap plain cheap wraps(3 or 4$ a dz ebay) an have seen a variance of .3grains in these wraps at most..Im not going to worry about 3/10th of a grain..Add weight?Yeah that's obvious...I have no weight or FOC% issues with my arrows IMO..My 6inch wraps weigh 8.4grains on avg..And I still maintain 14%FOC even with a lighted nock on the back end an a 100grains up front..The ONLY an I mean ONLY negative I can see to a wrap.Is if you had a arrow impact the rear of another shaft an it hairline cracked it,and the wrap hid the hairline crack ....Practice shafts vary in wrap an feather color.Right now its Flo Org wraps an 2in feathers orng with a chartreuse nock .Most likley my hunting shafts are going to be pink wraps,white 2in feathers an redish pink lighted nock...I also fletch all 3 feathers the same color..But that is another topic all together

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have never had a wrap peel off,unless I wanted it to..I find it easier to re-fletch using them.I also find it safer then taking a blade to my bare carbon shaft an taking a chance nicking or gouging it..Inconsistent weight?I use cheap plain cheap wraps(3 or 4$ a dz ebay) an have seen a variance of .3grains in these wraps at most..Im not going to worry about 3/10th of a grain..Add weight?Yeah that's obvious...I have no weight or FOC% issues with my arrows IMO..My 6inch wraps weigh 8.4grains on avg..And I still maintain 14%FOC even with a lighted nock on the back end an a 100grains up front..The ONLY an I mean ONLY negative I can see to a wrap.Is if you had a arrow impact the rear of another shaft an it hairline cracked it,and the wrap hid the hairline crack ....Practice shafts vary in wrap an feather color.Right now its Flo Org wraps an 2in feathers org with a chartreuse nock .Most likley my hunting shafts are going to be pink wraps,white 2in feathers an redish pink lighted nock...I also fletch all 3 feathers the same color..But that is another topic all together

Yep.