Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Best and worst....

buckstar25

T-county
Subjective opinions, objective opinions, hell even throw in pictures if you'd like. I get a kick out of doin this with buddies at work and it leads to some interesting an freakin hilarious discussions! I'll start it off with something cheesy

Best 80's rock band---- have to go with RATT (man I could really fly on those skates!)

Worst 80's rock band---- easy enough for me...Poison!

Agree or disagree when the subject dies, change it at any time. The only reason I picked the 80's deal was because we had 80's rock station on slacker and I forgot how many great bands came up through the decade.....

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have to disagree with you. Poison was definitely not the worst. There where so many wannabe hair bands when that era was ending. I don't think raft was the best.

I think that Queensryche was one of the better bands that didn't get the recognition that was deserved.

My opinion Winger was the worst hair band of the 80s. Give me a break any guy that wears skin tight leather pants and calls himself Kip isn't even close to cool.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lots of good bands in the eighties along with some classic one hit wonders. Best? tough call. Worst? Way to many to choose from.

Motley Crue? Poison wasn't that bad? Beastie Boys had to be in there along with Guns N Roses!

Worst? Tiffany? Although she matured quite well! Cyndi Lauper?

The Bangles could go on either list in my opinion. "Walk like an egyption" was awesome in it's day. (Keep in mind, I was in elementary school at the time.) Thomas Dolby- "She blinded me with science" could go either way. The Fat Boys? Run DMC? Duran Duran? Tons of memories of the eighties for me. Wide range of music available too.

Holee Crap! Just had a flashback and had to edit my post: Falco! "Rock me Amadeus" Catchy, yet at the same time, dumbest song ever. Followed up with Right Said Fred "I'm TOO sexy". Not sure if TOO sexy was 80's or 90's, but just as dumb as Falco.

Second edit: Once again, might be early 90's or late 80's but "Love Shack" has to make this list.

Last edited:

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I'll play as Im sure Cottis will TOO.
Best --Cinderella, Tom Keifer vocals is my reason for this pick

Worst--Stryper, just never really picked up on them

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree with Hoyt, Poison wasn't bad at all and would be right there with Warrant, Tesla and Skid Row in the top half. I would have had Ratt in the bottom half. Queensryche didn't get the recognition it deserved, as didn't Tesla.IMO

Thanks to Aaron for jogging my memory, loved Cinderella....another top half group.

Should be interesting to see what the others think.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The Nuge? Who was he with at that time? Damn Yankees or was that in the 90's? Less than impressive to me.

Can't believe you guys are forgetting Quiet Riot!!! Twisted Sister?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Best - you know I'm going G N' R. Although if I had to create a top 5 I'd add Metallica, Tesla, Skid Row, and Crüe. Great White, Cinderella, Ratt and Poison were in my collection as well.

Worst - Firehouse and any other band that ended up flooding the market.

The same thing is happening to the country scene right now. Too many people are jumping into this genre trying to capitalize and just watering it down. Country radio is going to die a slow death like hair metal did in the early 90's if it keeps getting saturated.
All the hair bands that came out in the early 90's just ruined it. Warrant and Winger get credit for that. Lol
Although Uncle Toms Cabin by Warrant is a good tune.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I didn't forget about them Phil, I didn't mention them cuz I don't like them. Rotflmao

Seriously though, QR and TS both were one hit wonders and basically screamed instead of sang.

Van Halen, Dokken, Scorpions,Journey,Boston,Whitesnake and Great White are also in MY top half.

Thanks Mike, I knew I was forgetting one, GW.

Last edited:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Best - Def Leppard

That is if you are only sticking to strictly 80's bands... WAY too many late 70's bands had their better albums released in the early 80's... (ACDC/Aerosmith/Boston, etc).

I'm an 80's fan though, Huey Lewis and the News, Journey (some 70's still though), Def Leppard, GNR, Billy Squier.

Final Answer: Best - Def Leppard (GNR a close 2nd)
Worst - I will go with Culture Club or Flock of Seagulls or something like that, although 90% of the 80's genre is alright with me!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Hair metal is when guitar solos rocked and drum solo's were awesome. It seemed to draw all the woman because every hair band had a ballad and I think KISS started it with Beth.
Tesla, Kixx, Ratt, GNR, Motely Crue and Great White were among my favs.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
How in da heck did I forget Foreigner,Def Leppard and Loverboy! Oh, 38 Special and Sammy Hagars "Standing Hampton" was a fuggin great album!!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Hair metal is when guitar solos rocked and drum solo's were awesome. It seemed to draw all the woman because every hair band had a ballad and I think KISS started it with Beth.
Tesla, Kixx, Ratt, GNR, Motely Crue and Great White were among my favs.

Favorite KISS song hands down!

Damn good idea for a thread!!