Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Large calibers and small handguns?

Recently, I shot a Glock 36 (sub-compact .45 acp) and found that large calibers don't mix...at least in my hands. I have average sized hands/wrists, but had difficulty handling the recoil from this particular 45 acp handgun.

I've shot my share of 1911s, in both compact and full size and have always thought the recoil was very comfortable. I'm guessing that this is the standard for steel framed handguns vs. polymer framed handguns.

* What are your experiences with 45 acp CCW handguns?
* What is your frame preference (steel, alloy or polymer)?
* Do you carry a compact or full size, in 45 acp?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
45 in a small/lightweight handgun is easier for me to shoot faster and more accurate than .40

I carry my Kahr P40 most of the time because it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe because of how much I shoot and with large calibers like 44 and 460. It is a good compromise between power and capacity. I prefer a light (polymer), thin, short grip firearm for carry. For anything else I like a heavier framed gun.

I switch between 9mm and 40 every few years. I am about due to buy another carry 9 but I am waiting for the release of the Springfied XDS in 9mm. Probably next year before they will be on the shelves enough that it will be priced correctly.

I agree with you 57. I dont normaly care for handguns that weigh in at the 28oz catagory that are chambered in anything larger than a 40 S&W. I like the extra weight of a steel or aluminum frame handgun. Sig 1911 cz ect. I think 17, 19, 26, glock 9mm are their best balanced handgun to shoot. I dont have a problem with the 9mm it gets the job done. I wouldn't say light handguns in larger calibers are unshootable I just dont care for them as much.

Last edited:
Beentown said:
45 in a small/lightweight handgun is easier for me to shoot faster and more accurate than .40
Beentown,
I am the same way with these two calibers. A .40 cal. seems to have too much muzzle flip for me to be able to control accurately.

Beentown said:
...but I am waiting for the release of the Springfied XDS in 9mm. Probably next year before they will be on the shelves enough that it will be priced correctly.
While we're discussing large calibers and small handguns...and waiting on the next XDS, you might as well take a look at the new XDS in 45 acp (single stack). :smiley_blink:
http://xdspistol.com/

Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Beentown,
I am the same way with these two calibers. A .40 cal. seems to have too much muzzle flip for me to be able to control accurately.

While we're discussing large calibers and small handguns...and waiting on the next XDS, you might as well take a look at the new XDS in 45 acp (single stack). :smiley_blink:
http://xdspistol.com/

Bowhunter57

I would rather carry .40 or 9mm. Nothing wrong in my mind with .45 just prefer 9mm or .40 with a good hollowpoint and a bit more capacity.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I carry a Taurus Millennium Pro with a polymer lower and a SS slide. She weights in at 22.6 oz unloaded. And has an overall length of 6 inches and is 5.5 inches tall. The little sucker is packed with 11 rounds of .45.

Recoil is very very manageable. Doesn't flip and goes off like a pop gun. Probably has something to do with the barrel length of only 3.27 inches. With a .45 fount being about 3/4 inch OAL. You only have about 2.5 inches of pipe. She makes a good flash at night but recoil is lighter than both 40 and 9mm IMO.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339419573.537960.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Seems I have checked that piece in at the airport before? Hmmm. . . glad we didn't need it on our adventure. lmao